How to find/delete "HP Product Research" and "Event Handler"?

Reaction score
My power mac G5 osx 10.5 is starting up with processes-
"HP Event Handler" and
"HP Product Research"

But I don't have any HP products that would make these programs relevant. Not only that but I deleted the HP folder from my applications folder. Yet these two programs still start up. And they are not in my startup list or anywhere else on the computer.

How do I delete and/or find them to delete?

Reaction score
Try looking in /Library/LaunchAgents or /Library/LaunchDaemons. Also maybe in /Library/StartupItems.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, I Found an HP related file in /library/LaunchAgents and deleted it.

It was-

com.hp.launchurlagent.plist

And I deleted this but still I have the two applications run on bootup!

Also, I even went into the printer preferences and deleted every printer. Still I have the two applications.

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Try looking in your Home folder /Library too. There are 2 /Library folders.

Reaction score
My power mac G5 osx 10.5 is starting up with processes-
"HP Event Handler" and "HP Product Research"
But I don't have any HP products that would make these programs relevant. Not only that but I deleted the HP folder from my applications folder. Yet these two programs still start up. And they are not in my startup list or anywhere else on the computer. How do I delete and/or find them to delete?

/Library/Application Support/Hewlett-Packard/Customer Participation/HP Product Research.app
Well, that's how it works on a late '08. The app is almost always running so go to Activity Monitor and force quit HP Product Research from there, then you'll be able to move the HP Product Research application right into the trash! After that, I'd just delete the entire "Customer Participation" folder. It's highly unlikely that there's anything in there that's of use to you. Unless you like Spyware....

Reaction score
Help me please!

I have the same problem and don't know how to fix it.

Max os Sierra
Deskjet 3630 Series

Can you pls help?
Thanks in advance

Gerald

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Did you read through this entire thread? Try to follow what has been suggested above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yup Charlie, here it comes again… ;)

Try using Find Any File.app and do some searches on the key words you're looking for.
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

It can also delete any required found items so tread carefully especially if you're not sure.

- Patrick
==========

Reaction score
Thank you pm-r. I found the files deeply hidden and it worked. after deletion they dont show up draining the battery anymore. thank you very much.
Gerald

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you pm-r. I found the files deeply hidden and it worked. after deletion they dont show up draining the battery anymore. thank you very much.
Gerald

Good to hear and I'm glad it worked, so maybe I can still earn some more good scout or "brownie" points!!!

Hopefully chscag et al won't get too tired of reading my accolades for using Find Any File. :eek:

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hopefully chscag et al won't get too tired of reading my accolades for using Find Any File.

Naw, just send 10% of your earnings from the advertising and we'll forgive you. :Evil: ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.