Optibay + OCZ Vertex 2 120gb + Freezing

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Recently I purchased and installed the MCE Optibay and since then, everytime my MBP goes to sleep and wakes up, it operates for about 10 seconds and then freezes.

Here's what I did:
1. Moved exiting 500gb hard drive into Optibay and installed it into optical bay
2. installed OCZ Vertex 2 120GB into original hard drive position.
3. I have tried checking and unchecking the "put hard drive to sleep" function but there is no change.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you.

Reaction score
I have the OCZ Agility2 in the primary and a Seagate 7200.4 in the Optibay. I used SuperDuper copy my boot drive to the SSD and have Win 7 on the 500GB and no problems with either. I do not use Win 7 much so it might have sleep issue but OS X seems to be fine.

OP
D
Reaction score
I have the OCZ Agility2 in the primary and a Seagate 7200.4 in the Optibay. I used SuperDuper copy my boot drive to the SSD and have Win 7 on the 500GB and no problems with either. I do not use Win 7 much so it might have sleep issue but OS X seems to be fine.

Its not that I have problems with the Win 7 part- its OSX that I'm having problems with. Everytime I close the lid of my laptop for 10 min or so and then open it, it freezes after a few seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
In your case, I believe it's actually caused by the OCZ vertex. If you look up problems with the vertex ssd, you will see what I mean. OCZ, in general, has been having a good deal of issues relating to system power management. Contact OCZ to see if they have any drive updates.

Reaction score
I did update the firmware on mine before putting OS X on it and I think I remember something about a issue with sleep

OP
D
Reaction score
I did update the firmware on mine before putting OS X on it and I think I remember something about a issue with sleep

My drive came with firmware 1.23 and I updated it to 1.24 and the problem is still there. Sigh.........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I got my OCZ installed in the optical bay today...it's fast as STINK!! I'm liking it a lot!

The only thing I would suggest is that you contact OCZ for a replacement, or do a fresh OS install. Since SSD's on a macbook are supported by TRIM, you will get more problems associated with read/write slow down as you add/erase more files. This is one reason why I believe the OWC cards are the best on the market. They have their own system called "DuraWrite" to prevent corrupt files...which are a known huge problem on SSD's that causes slow downs/lock ups.

One way to prevent this is by relocating all files(such as cache, temp folders, and anything in general that stores data for only a short amount of time, or something that you manually edit a lot), to your normal drive. Keep only hard files on the ssd, such basic OS files.

I just got done copying and relocating all the unnecessary files back into my seagate h-ssd. Took a while, but I know it will be worth it down the road.

PS: I know it sounds weird that locking up after waking from sleep might be caused from corrupted files, but it seems to be what lot's of complaints are focusing in on. Just do a yahoo search of OCZ and locking up.

This drive was just to test out SSD's. My next one will be OWC...for sure!

Reaction score
Hi, regarding the freeze on startup issue, check your in System Profiler that the superdrive slot is SATA and not ATA.

'07 and it seems some early '08 macbook pros have ATA superdrive connections that will give you freezing issues like you described if a SATA drive is plugged in. I know this from experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.