question about ipad and jailbreak

Reaction score
I never done jailbreaking before and I don't think I will anyway..but I have a question about it. Is it true that apple will void warrenty if ipad is jailbreaked?
The reason I'm asking is because I hear people talking about all these "cool" stuff and...I'm thinking apple don't like that.

Reaction score
hi koban4max! jailbreaking your ipad will make you lose its warranty, but restoring your iPad to the original factory settings should get things back to normal.

C

chas_m

As the owner of a jailbroken iPhone, I have to tell you jailbreaking is WAY over-rated, even more so for the iPad.

Yes, there are maybe a dozen pretty nifty apps out there not otherwise available. Maybe a dozen, only a few of which will be of particular interest to you. I did mine because I moved to another country so I had to "unlock" the phone, and since then I've found a couple or three apps that make my iPhone work better (because it's an old original one). I don't have any interest in having 10 gazillion wallpaper themes, so that aspect of jailbreaking is not important to me.

The main complaint I have about jailbreaking is that the entire (complicated) process must be re-done EVERY time Apple updates the iOS, and sometimes you wait weeks for the "hack" that allows jailbreaking to come out. To me (maybe not to everyone, but to me) that's a royal PITA I don't care to contend with over and over. Luckily, this old iPhone has now gone as far as it can go -- 3.1.3 -- and I'll never have to do the jailbreak/unlock shuffle again.

OP
K
Reaction score
hi koban4max! jailbreaking your ipad will make you lose its warranty, but restoring your iPad to the original factory settings should get things back to normal.

oh i see.. I never knew it can restore back to factory setting...i guess backing it up might help.

OP
K
Reaction score
As the owner of a jailbroken iPhone, I have to tell you jailbreaking is WAY over-rated, even more so for the iPad.

Yes, there are maybe a dozen pretty nifty apps out there not otherwise available. Maybe a dozen, only a few of which will be of particular interest to you. I did mine because I moved to another country so I had to "unlock" the phone, and since then I've found a couple or three apps that make my iPhone work better (because it's an old original one). I don't have any interest in having 10 gazillion wallpaper themes, so that aspect of jailbreaking is not important to me.

The main complaint I have about jailbreaking is that the entire (complicated) process must be re-done EVERY time Apple updates the iOS, and sometimes you wait weeks for the "hack" that allows jailbreaking to come out. To me (maybe not to everyone, but to me) that's a royal PITA I don't care to contend with over and over. Luckily, this old iPhone has now gone as far as it can go -- 3.1.3 -- and I'll never have to do the jailbreak/unlock shuffle again.

wow. i guess it's pointless to have all those apps. what you mean the process must be redone? you mean you have to redo jailbreaking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
This notion that jailbreaking will void your warranty is somewhat of a myth. Way back in the dark ages, I attempted to jailbreak my 1st generation iPod Touch and let me tell you, it was a disaster! I never knew they made bricks so small!

I was still pretty much A "noob" with these devices and I was almost ready to toss my iPod in the trash because I was sure there was no way that Apple was going to help me but I figured it was an 800 number and the worst that would happen is they would tell me they couldn't help me.

As it turns out, all I had to do was go through the restore process and my iPod was good as new... literally! So I asked the extremely helpful and friendly Apple Care lady why she took pity on me and helped me for free even though I am the one who screwed it up. She said that if I had tossed my iPod in the trash, they would have lost me as a customer... a customer who would buy music and apps and other content and then I would go tell all my friends with a piece of garbage the iPod was. But by helping me restore my iPod for free, they retained me as a customer who would then go tell his friends about how great it was to deal with Apple!

Apple isn't just about "stuff", it is also an attitude about how they deal with their customers that makes the difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Apple isn't just about "stuff", it is also an attitude about how they deal with their customers that makes the difference.

Hear, hear :)

Shame more companies arnt like this. The word would be a better place IMO

OP
K
Reaction score
This notion that jailbreaking will void your warranty is somewhat of a myth. Way back in the dark ages, I attempted to jailbreak my 1st generation iPod Touch and let me tell you, it was a disaster! I never knew they made bricks so small!

I was still pretty much A "noob" with these devices and I was almost ready to toss my iPod in the trash because I was sure there was no way that Apple was going to help me but I figured it was an 800 number and the worst that would happen is they would tell me they couldn't help me.

As it turns out, all I had to do was go through the restore process and my iPod was good as new... literally! So I asked the extremely helpful and friendly Apple Care lady why she took pity on me and helped me for free even though I am the one who screwed it up. She said that if I had tossed my iPod in the trash, they would have lost me as a customer... a customer who would buy music and apps and other content and then I would go tell all my friends with a piece of garbage the iPod was. But by helping me restore my iPod for free, they retained me as a customer who would then go tell his friends about how great it was to deal with Apple!

apple..the one who cares...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Other than liquid damage, I would say 99% of the time if your polite they will always help you, My friend bricked his jailbroken 3GS that was also a week out of warranty. He explained to the Genius what happened they were cool about it, Swapped it out.

OP
K
Reaction score
Other than liquid damage, I would say 99% of the time if your polite they will always help you, My friend bricked his jailbroken 3GS that was also a week out of warranty. He explained to the Genius what happened they were cool about it, Swapped it out.

he was lucky then.

Reaction score

I have a different perspective on it. If not for jailbreaking, I'm sure I'd have an Android phone right now.
I wrote a little article about my favorite jailbreak apps that I'll post after the jump.
As for all the having to rejailbreak, that assumes you're always updating your phone, which I don't. And the last jailbreak I did wasn't complicated. I went to a website and that's it.

Article:
There are countless possibilities the world of Cydia has opened to those who choose to set their iDevices free from the shackles that Apple places on them. Jailbreaking seems like a novelty until you actually get into it and realize there's so much more your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad is capable of that you'd probably never even considered previously. Currently, I have an iPhone 4 running iOS4.0.1, and here's a list of 10 jailbreak apps I consider essential.

1. MyWi 4.0 - Turns an iPhone into a wireless hotspot. Allows you to tether a notebook, iPad, iPod Touch, PSP, DSi, etc to use your phone's data connection. For those of us fortunate enough to have retained the unlimited data plan, largely negates the need for a home Internet connection.

2. Quick Reply for SMS - Allows you to reply to a SMS by putting it on top of whatever else you're doing on your phone (even the lockscreen) so that you can instantly reply to a message and go right back to what you were doing. Admittedly, it was much more important in old software versions because of the lack of multitasking, but it's still invaluable if for no other reason than you can see an entire message without unlocking your phone and waiting for the Messages program to load.

3. SBSettings - Allows you to toggle functions and operations instantly. Also allows you to add a date to the status bar, or hide unused icons from the springboard.

4. Infinifolder - Normal iOS 4 limits you to 12 icons in a folder, with infinifolder, you can add as many as you like.

5. NoLockScreen - Just like it says, eleminates the lockscreen. Press the home button, and you're home. I can't imagine a time whenthe recessed home button could get inadvertently pressed in my pocket, so for me, the lockscreen was a superfluous step in accessing my phone.

6. My3G - Some programs are designed to only work over WiFi. Want to Download an app over 20mb? Want to use FaceTime? Want to watch a full episode from TV.com app? Too bad! You have to have a WiFi connection. My3G tricks your phone into thinking it's on WiFi even when it's on 3G or Edge.

7. Direct Closer Pro - With iOS4's multitasking, to close an app out totally, you have to double click the home button, then hold an icon until they start wiggling, then click on the x to close what you want, then click home again to stop the wiggling so you can select a program to switch to. Folder Closer Pro already has the icons wiggling when you double click home, so you can delete them, OR you can just touch an icon anywhere but the x and it will switch. It saves 2 or 3 steps.

8. Winterboard - Allows you to personalize the aesthetics of your phone. Custom icons and UI, lockscreens, dial screens etc. It's nice to be able to personalize.

9.Syncronicity - When you sync your iDevice with iTunes, whether to backup or just add some music or video, Syncronicity allows you to still use your phone, so no more disrupted syncs because you got/answered a text!

10. WiFi Sync - How often do you plug your iPhone into iTunes and let it backup and sync? I'll bet not often enough. It takes a while, it keeps you stationary etc... WiFi sync is an app you download to your phone and a companion app you download to your computer, and as long as the two share a wifi connection, you can initiate a wireless sync right from your phone. I do it every night as I go to bed.

Honorable mention to Folder in Folder - Pretty self-explanatory, let's you put folders inside other folders. And Folder Closer - When you select something thats in a folder, automatically closes the folder when you return to the home screen.

C

chas_m

I admire your expertise, but I have to point out that EVEN YOU were unable to come up with more than dozen REALLY GOOD apps otherwise unavailable to unjailbroken phones. Kind of proving my point, you are.

The ones you mention are very nice, I will cheerfully admit, but I would say that the vast majority of iPhone owners really have little need of any of them, certainly not to the point where the hassle is justified (and yes, it's a hassle -- nobody I've ever run into would opt for never upgrading the iPhone's OS just for the sake of having a jailbroken app).

Reaction score
I admire your expertise, but I have to point out that EVEN YOU were unable to come up with more than dozen REALLY GOOD apps otherwise unavailable to unjailbroken phones. Kind of proving my point, you are.

The ones you mention are very nice, I will cheerfully admit, but I would say that the vast majority of iPhone owners really have little need of any of them, certainly not to the point where the hassle is justified (and yes, it's a hassle -- nobody I've ever run into would opt for never upgrading the iPhone's OS just for the sake of having a jailbroken app).

The MyWi totally justifies it for me.
I'm still on AT&T's Unlimited Data plan (Grandfathered in) and I do not have a home internet connection. Myself and my roommate both use the WiFi tethering to get online with our computers.
If I could do nothing else, I'd still jailbreak (and am still running 4.0.1 BTW) for this feature. I haven't updated because there's no benefit for me. I can easily jailbreak 4.1 or 4.2, but I saw no reason. If nothing else, I can still easily unlock with just an app from Cydia.

Thanks for your compliment about my "expertise" but I could come up with more than a dozen "really good" apps, those are just the ones that I like best, especially for 4.0+.

When the new iPhone came out this year, and there was talk of no jailbreak, I went to Sprint and ordered an EVO (even with the $10 fee and extra for tethering, my bill would have remained the same as my old iPhone bill). My plan was to try the iPhone for the 2 weeks it would take for the EVO to come in, and then sell it for enough to recoup my costs and ETF and activate the EVO. As it happens, I was immediately able to jailbreak the iPhone with jailbreakme.com and download MyWi, so I cancelled my order from Sprint.

YMMV, and obviously does, but for every reason someone tells me their android phone is superior to an iPhone, I can confidently say "not mine."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm glad someone came out with an app that changes the iPad's switch back to an orientation lock. I really don't like the software solution that was forced upon us with 4.2.

However, let's all be serious here. Apple has introduced essentially every feature that used to make jailbreaking useful, like multitasking, changing wallpaper, and setting tones. Other than a handful of niche apps, the only real use left for jailbreaking is cracked apps. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out 90% or more of people who jailbreak do it to get cracked apps.

Now I'm not saying I'm part of that 90% nor am I condoning the behavior. Just stating a simple observation.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So, don't keep us in suspense... ;D what's the name of it? I didn't find one on a quick search.

edit: found it - have to jailbreak your iPad to get it - called NoMute

Wern't a single one of the items in the list above worth jailbreaking to me - but for this one thing, it suddenly becomes worthwhile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, NoMute is the only Cydia app I have installed. I used to have a couple multitasking apps and Categories installed, but now that 4.2 comes with multitasking and folders by default, there's really nothing else I need from Cydia.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hadn't gone investigating it on the web at all until you mentioned there was an app out. After going on the search for it last night, looks like I am not alone regarding my feelings related to moving the lock. Fat chance of us getting a system setting for this with Gizmodo leading the way on a petition though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, as much as I would like for Apple to include a setting for the user to decide, I really doubt that it's going to happen. Well this is what jailbreaking is for, to get functionality that Apple doesn't include. Since we're down to just a single feature that needs a jailbreak, I'd say they've gotten it mostly right :)

Reaction score
Yea, as much as I would like for Apple to include a setting for the user to decide, I really doubt that it's going to happen. Well this is what jailbreaking is for, to get functionality that Apple doesn't include. Since we're down to just a single feature that needs a jailbreak, I'd say they've gotten it mostly right :)

A single feature to you that justifies a JB.

To a lot of us, the ability to put folders into folders, do away with the lock screen etc are also good reasons.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.