• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie not responding

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air Yosemite 10.10.2
Help! My iMovie is opening but not responding...just shows the spinning pie (doesn't show any projects or videos/pics like when it normally opens). I've tried repairing disk permissions, no luck. Then I went into the guest account and it opens and seems to work there (but none of my project stuff is there of course it's just all empty). What do I do next???

I've looked at some other posts and I need some help in layman's terms!

C

chas_m

Try just ... leaving it alone. For a long time.

IME, iMovie is trying to locate, catalog and thumbnail all your video. This can take quite a while. Try walking away for a couple-three hours and see what happens. If its still stuck, THEN I would suspect that its hit some corruption somewhere.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air Yosemite 10.10.2
Thanks but no luck

tried on multiple occasions having restarted it, shut it down completely, etc. I think I'll just have to back everything up and uninstall/reinstall it or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
What you describe sounds like a corrupted project trying to open. If that is it, move that project to some other location such as your desktop, then try opening iMovie. My theory being the iMovie won't be able to find that file and so will open at the project list level.

Things to try...

Run "Console.app" in the Utilities folder, then start iMovie, then review the log in the Console window to gain any hints.

Remove the iMovie preferences file in case it is corrupted.

A long shot (or even unreasonable), try double clicking a different project from the one you had open last. Related to my first paragraph.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.