3rd Party Battery for Clamshell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
I need a new battery for my clamshell because it doesn't even hold a charge. I have heard good things about NuPower Clamshell Battery found here. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/BAPIB148V48/

Have any of you purchased one of these, the only thing I can see a problem with is that it says to calibrate it to do this http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/F.../newerbatteries/newerbatteryconditioning.html

Well the program they have doesnt work on my OS, so I was wondering do you think I could calibrate it normally like you would a original Apple battery?

R

Racing666

i have a battery that i pulled from an orange clamshell laptop...is there any way to test it without putting it in another laptop? if your interested, you can have it if you pay the shipping...that goes for anyone too that is looking for a battery...i wish i could test it without a clamshell somehow..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have never used the Clamshell battery, as I never owned a Clamshell, but I have purchased replacements for my Wallstreet from NuPower.
The batteries are great and very reliable. I never used any calibrating tools, and I get a solid 4+ hour charge from it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
The NuPower batteries are good. I have one in my Pismo powerbook right now. The only thing the battery utility that is on the OWC website is doing is showing the batteries charge holding ability in terms of amp-hours rather than time or %(displayed by the OS). All calibrating the battery means by the way is that the little battery charge icon tells you how much time is left on your charge accurately. If all you want to do is calibrate the battery you don't need any software, just follow these simple steps:

1. Charge the battery up completely.
2. Set energy saver prefs to 'never sleep.'
3. disconnect the ac adapter and do whatever it is you do until the battery is (almost) completely discharged and goes to sleep.
4. Re-connect the ac adapter and let it charge completely.
5. Enjoy the knowledge that your battery will last almost as long as the little timer in the menu bar says it will.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the posts guys, I ordered my new battery today!

C

ciaran.mooney

Keep us updated on the battery! Im looking to get a replacement too, and unsure wether to fork out for a apple or NuPower battery

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will do, Ciaran. Should be here sometime this week.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I recieved the Nupower Battery this morning, since it first had to be mailed to a relative since it was their credit card I was using. Right now it's being charged for the recommended 12 hours. Ill keep you guys posted as to how well it will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Yeah, I've been looking for a clamshell battery too. I found I can recharge this old one for like $70, and new one's go for between $100-$140. I don't know what I'm gonna do yet.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The NuPower battery is working great so far. It's still estimated at 4 hours and I've had the computer one for almost 2. It was worth the money in my opinion!

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finished charging it let it drain down. It went 7 hours on the battery. The warning came up saying that it was in reserve battery life and to plug it in. I waited for it go into sleep but it took an other hour to go into sleep mode.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might have to search around but I bought mine from the states. Im in Canada so with the exchange rate it all it was about 200 CAN which would be 90 pounds. I dont know how much the posting would be, mine was 25$ Canadian and that was including in the $200 price.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.