OS X 10.3 Boot Error

Reaction score
Hey, I'm trying to get Panther on my old g3 iMac and I have (burned) disk images of 10.3 install disks. I put the first in and it was going well, at about 70% an error occurred and I had to start again. The only problem is when I put the disk in again the white apple screen comes up and then is covered up by a huge power button logo that says "You must restart your computer now. Hold the power button or press the restart button." And then that is all covered up by what I assume is programming text on the left.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks,
Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Hey, I'm trying to get Panther on my old g3 iMac and I have (burned) disk images of 10.3 install disks. I put the first in and it was going well, at about 70% an error occurred and I had to start again. The only problem is when I put the disk in again the white apple screen comes up and then is covered up by a huge power button logo that says "You must restart your computer now. Hold the power button or press the restart button." And then that is all covered up by what I assume is programming text on the left.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks,
Sean

Burned disks are illegal copies of OS X. They probably aren't going to work right. Buy yourself some REAL retail disks.

OP
S
Reaction score
I considered that but I don't want to go buying it if it's going to just have errors anyway.
I've done some more research and it looks like it's a Kernel Panic if that means anything to anyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes indicates a hardware problem or a problem with your pirated discs.

Have you updated the firmware of the G3 prior to commencing install of OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I agree with harry on this one. As I recall trying to put OS X on my old iMac G3 (333mhz) was such a PITA that we ended up getting an eMac to replace it, because the firmware update screwed up and we were left with a crapshell of a machine. Good luck. Also, 10.2 was probably the last one I had that worked then.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hey, I recently posted saying I was getting kernel errors when booting from self-burned os x discs. Now I have real discs and a new larger hard drive that's completely blank, when I put in the discs it just goes to the regular Folder icon with alternating ? and Finder icon on it. If I restart the computer holding the C key it does the same although it does flash to a white screen (where presumably the apple should show up and the loading gear) but then back to the folder icon. These discs have been tested to work for sure. Any ideas?
Thanks
Sean

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Merged your post to the original thread. Please do not start a new thread as it causes confusion and clutters the forum. Always post back to the same thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing has changed still a hardware problem. Perhaps the hard or optical drive has failed and have you checked the firmware update as yet?

OP
S
Reaction score
Nothing has changed still a hardware problem. Perhaps the hard or optical drive has failed and have you checked the firmware update as yet?

Ya I had the firmware updated before I started the install of OS X.

Slightly new scenario: I have the same iMac and the same legit discs but a new hard drive. The problem now is that it has no OS on it at all. So now I have the OS 9 discs and when I start it up the ?/Finder icon flashes at me. I know that means no OS is detected or whatever so I put in the 9 disc and restart holding C. The ? icon still flashes at me no matter what I do.

I've tried resetting the PRAM and doing disk repairs in disk utility and read countless forums trying to figure out why this is happening.

Any ideas?

PS. By the way, I know the optical drive works because I played a CD in it when OS 9 was running on the previous hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Trust you do not have silver/grey system install discs?

These babies will work ONLY with the precise model machine they came with. They abound on eBay and auction sites to trap innocent buyers alas.

OS 9 discs must be white and OS X discs must be black.

OP
S
Reaction score
I got another OS 9 disk ad the problem persists.
The guy I got it off of thinks it could be something else going on inside, any thoughts?
Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.