Word 2011 - Freezes when pasting text

Reaction score
I've been using Word 2011 for the last few weeks and I have found a consistent problem when I am trying to cut/copy text and pasting. After I select copy and then go to where I want the text pasted, the program freezes. I then have to force quit the application. This happens even when it is just a few words. I keep saving my documents like crazy but sometimes I end up losing stuff. Is it me or has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, have you found a workaround?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have no problem with pasting and copying text to and from Word 2011.

Why don't you give us some specifics? Which Mac do you have? Year\Model? What version of OS X are you running? And which applications are you trying to paste text into or from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26ghz 4GB, iPod nano 1st & 3rd gen., iPod touch 2nd gen.
My word works fine and i have the 11. i know of a friend that had the older model and his word would always quit when he tried to copy and paste from pages to word. I'm not completely sure why it happened to him but i think it might have been a problem with the software

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, I have Word 2008 and 2011 and both versions work fine for copy and paste. It's not the software.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses. Unfortunately I am still having the problem. I thought it may be the document I was working on but it happens with any of my Word documents. It seems if I get going too fast with using the short cut keys to copy and paste, Word just doesn't seem to keep up. It is quite frustrating when I am having to move stuff around. I am trying to save between every move but sometimes I just forget. I guess I'll go back to using 2008 since I never had that problem with that software version.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There has been an update to Office 2001 (14.0.1) that fixes, "...issues that might cause Office 2011 applications to stop responding or quit unexpectedly." Have you installed it? If not, you can get it here or through the Office autoupdater (open an Office 2011 app and go to Help > Check For Updates).

Reaction score
I've got exactly the same problem, it happens randomly on any new or old document on both my computers. I run 10.6.5 and have updated office with the latest patches. Very annoying bug and I have no clue whats causing it :Confused:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As stated above, I haven't run into that problem with Office 2011 or 2008, however, Office 2011 is certainly not bug free. There are other glitches that have been promised will be on the "fix" list for future updates. But knowing how slow things are sometimes (especially with MS) I can't tell you when those updates will be published.

The best I can suggest for now is post your problem in the MS Mac Office forum for Word and see if one of the MS MVP members can assist. They generally are on top of things. Here's the LINK.

You will have to register in order to post.

Reaction score
Slow paste in word for office 2011

Slow paste in word for office 2011 (a long 5-10 second hang) drove me nuts until I did the following.

File / Preference / Edit
turn off "use smart cut and paste"

-Paul W

Reaction score
I'm not into MS Office 2011 that much, but I've been working with MS Office + Win since the very beginning (Win 95 and Office XP, just to name two...).
Sometimes in Win world these "freezings" are due to the fact that the text you're copying comes from a website and/or an external resource (e.g. an external HDD, pendrive or a document in your factory server). I never found a real "patch" to this behaviour. None but patience ;P.

Merry Christmas!

Reaction score
Hi - I am having exactly the same problem. I have a brand new macbook pro with the latest everything. I just upgraded from mac 2008 and it keeps happening. I've tried installing the latest updates; i have fixed permissions; i have reconciled duplicate fonts. but it still crashes almost every time i cut and paste. Why?????

Reaction score
Slow paste in word for office 2011 (a long 5-10 second hang) drove me nuts until I did the following.

File / Preference / Edit
turn off "use smart cut and paste"

tnx, it actually seem to have helped, the crashes has dropped significantly!
:)

Reaction score
Word Freezes - and creates a black screen with a white box

Hi!
I too recently installed the version 2011 and have had a ton of problems with freezing - including the most recent incident where my entire computer froze and the screen turned black with a small white box in the middle. I had to restart the entire machine.

Also - why no auto-save/auto-recovery for MS word 2011? I never get the recovered version of the doc when it does freeze.

Do you know if it is problematic for me to have both the 2008 and 2011 version of Office on my computer? that is how I have it currently set up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also - why no auto-save/auto-recovery for MS word 2011? I never get the recovered version of the doc when it does freeze.

Do you know if it is problematic for me to have both the 2008 and 2011 version of Office on my computer? that is how I have it currently set up.

Where do you have your auto recovery files set to go? And did you specify a location in Office preferences? By default the auto recovery files will be sent to:

/Users/your name/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 AutoRecovery/

Make sure you have auto recovery turned on.

And no, you can have both Office 2008 and 2011 installed at the same time. Office 2011 will overwrite many of the files and settings of 2008 anyway.

Reaction score
you are indeed right about the autorecovery folder. Many thanks!
I just wish that I knew this before rewriting most of my research report yesterday :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah well, live and learn. :) Been there done that....

You might want to open the Office 2011 preferences and direct the auto recovery files to go somewhere that's easier to find. I usually change the folder to the documents folder or some sub folder of documents. That way it's readily available from your Dock.

Reaction score
Great idea. But I just made an alias file on my desktop for the recovery file.

Reaction score
I've been using Word 2011 for the last few weeks and I have found a consistent problem when I am trying to cut/copy text and pasting. After I select copy and then go to where I want the text pasted, the program freezes.

You are not alone.

See:
Apple - Support - Discussions - Office 2011 and Clipboard Issue ...

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
I've been using a Mac now for 5 years. And until I got Word 2011, I actually forgot what it was like to have a frozen machine.

Thanks Microsoft for refreshing my memory! :Angry:

E

EightmanVT

I've been using a Mac now for 5 years. And until I got Word 2011, I actually forgot what it was like to have a frozen machine.

Thanks Microsoft for refreshing my memory! :Angry:

Ugh - I hope a fix emerges soon. I just installed Office 2011 - and will be knee deep in a research project soon - that will involve a lot of the above described opportunities for crashing. That will not be good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.