Word 2011 - Freezes when pasting text

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As a first time user of this forum I would like to comment that it is unlikely for folks to come to you without a real problem. To be dismissive by saying that you do not suffer such a problem with the same software is probably not good form. Looking through the entries, it appears that you say that a lot.

No one is dismissing your post or the problem you're having. I merely related to you that after the latest update from MS the problem has not reoccured for me. You're being over sensitive perhaps from frustration with Word. Also you're being a bit insulting accusing me of not only dismissing your post but others. I even stated
Not to say what you're reporting isn't happening....

Reaction score
Microsoft Word 2011 for Mac -- Freezes during paste operation

I confirm the paste operation freeze in Microsoft Word 2011. I have had it occur in every update since I installed the original version.

The freeze (which requires a forced quit of Microsoft Word) has occurred to me when using the menu Paste operation and when using the drag operation to move highlighted text.

It does not occur every time a past operation is used. Unfortunately, I am unable to replicate it intentionally. It does occur at a frequency (guestimate: once every three hours of active use of Microsoft Word) that is very frustrating. I try to save every 5-10 minutes on my own because oftentimes the recovered version is less up-to-date than I expect it to be.

My set-up:
- iMac, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB, Mac OS X 10.6.8
- Microsoft Word: Mac 2011, Version 14.1.4 (111121)
- Autorecover info: 10 minutes
- Keep track of formatting: checked

The last freeze was last night on February 1, 2012. Hence, my google search to see if others have experienced the same issue.

I used to think it was only happening in Page Layout View. However, last night's freeze occurred in Draft View.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A user in the Microsoft Word forums reported that the paste operation freeze seemed to occur when he used "Paste Special" or "Paste and Match Formatting" instead of just "Paste". However, in pursuit of trying to find out what is causing this to happen, I have been unable to duplicate the error when selecting either.

I see that you have auto recovery turned on and that's good. But auto recovery does not always work correctly so be sure to turn on "Always make a backup" in Word preferences, "Save".

Sorry I can't be of more help. You might want to visit the link I referred to above and see what the latest is from Microsoft.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Randy:

OS X 10.7.3 is out, and it is supposed to offer greater compatibility with Microsoft Office.

Do you have any insight as to exactly what "greater compatibility" they're referring to?

Reaction score
@Randy:

Do you have any insight as to exactly what "greater compatibility" they're referring to?

Here is a list of the new features from Apple:
About the OS X Lion v10.7.3 Update

However, as you are probably already aware, Apple rarely tells us about everything that is included in an update. But it is encouraging that Apple had Microsoft Office in mind when they created this update.

I'm looking forward to hearing from folks who have had the cut & paste issue who update to 10.7.3 to see if it helps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Randy. Here's what Apple says:

"Address an issue printing Microsoft Word documents that use markup."

That's the only thing they mention about Microsoft Word.

Reaction score
Thanks Randy. Here's what Apple says:

"Address an issue printing Microsoft Word documents that use markup."

That's the only thing they mention about Microsoft Word.

Yes, but I've already heard from folks who have seen increased functionality in Word beyond that. That's why I'm hopeful that the update might offer some assistance to those who have been suffering from the copy & paste problem.

Reaction score
Slow paste in word for office 2011 (a long 5-10 second hang) drove me nuts until I did the following.

File / Preference / Edit
turn off "use smart cut and paste"

-Paul W

Thanks I've giving this a try. It crashed again on me for just doing an indent and not copy and paste. I'll see if Copy/Paste will stop crashing it. Using MacBook Air with Office 2011. I just updated to Office release 14.3.6 yesterday and it seemed stable on 14.3.5

Reaction score
Word 2011 freezes when pasting text

The problem reported by the original poster persists today, and is still just as annoying. FWIW, I'm using Word 14.4.7 on an iMac under Yosemite 10.10.1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.