ipod touch 4 or ipad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
older ipod, ipod touches 3 &4, older imac, imac 19 inch osx. love them all.
I'm replacing my daugher's lost ipod touch. Any thoughts on whether i should go with a touch or an ipad? Money IS an issue, but if one is definitely way bettter I'd consider that as well.

please let me know what you think about both and if one is really a standout better piece than the other. thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
I'm replacing my daugher's lost ipod touch. Any thoughts on whether i should go with a touch or an ipad? Money IS an issue, but if one is definitely way bettter I'd consider that as well.

please let me know what you think about both and if one is really a standout better piece than the other. thanks!

Ipad is more expensive so dependent on what your daughter needs get a touch. The ipad is a great device but if you can do what you need on a $200 device theres no need to spend more on an Ipad.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
um, i'll probably be playing with it as well! a touch was so handy. . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
um, i'll probably be playing with it as well! a touch was so handy. . .

I am not going to lie to you I really love my ipad but wouldn't have bought one unless I had a large bonus from work and had money to spare.

I actually wasn't that impressed with it in store but I think you need to take it home and make it your own with apps relevant to you.

Cost me £600 though but as I say money wasn't an issue at the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
How about the obvious here?

The iPad has a much larger screen which is far better for playing games and viewing videos/movies/photos.

The iPod Touch is much easier to carry in your pocket, purse, fanny pack, whatever. ;)

The iPod Touch costs much less than the iPad.

If you're talking most recent iPod Touch, it has 2 cameras (great for FaceTime) and the (current Gen.) iPad does not.

Weigh those facts with your needs and see what works best for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
+1 for the Touch. Had mine 3 weeks, don't know why I never had one before, and the costs difference is huge.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the info.

going with the ipod touch. Mostly a money thing, partly a camera thing.

i have some specifics on the ipod touch: i'll ask at the store when i pop into there today. but if you all know -- i'd love to hear as well.

is there a program or app on ipod touch that lets you write notes to your self? like lists? i carry around a spiral notebook now!

also, can i do facetime between ipod touch and my imac osx? i've read about some issues on two ipod touch's trying it on the same network. . . has anyone tried it out before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Not sure about the Facetime to your own Mac, I haven't tried Facetime at all yet, but there is a built in notes app that emails any list you make to your account. I didn't know it did that until I typed a note and came home to find it sitting in my inbox!
The HD video recording is really good btw, my main reason for buying one over a 3rd Gnen in the end.
There are some great apps in the store too of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Not sure about the Facetime to your own Mac, I haven't tried Facetime at all yet, but there is a built in notes app that emails any list you make to your account. I didn't know it did that until I typed a note and came home to find it sitting in my inbox!
The HD video recording is really good btw, my main reason for buying one over a 3rd Gnen in the end.
There are some great apps in the store too of course.

+1 for everything mentioned here.
My wife uses an app called Shop Shop (or something like that) to make grocery lists on her iPhone 4. You can e-mail these lists to others too. It doesn't just have to be for shopping. But the native Notes app is great too. The one cool feature of that shopping app is you can check or cross things off as you get them done.
I'm sure if you search the App store you'll find lots of useful notes/lists apps.

And yes, you can use FaceTime with an iPod Touch and a Mac.
Apple - FaceTime - Make video calls to iPhone 4 from your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.