iTunes and music loss question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
Not sure what my wife did but she said she updated to the latest iTunes and all her music and iPhone apps are gone. I went to her music folder and dragged the iTunes folder into iTunes and it starts to import the apps but gets an error saying "a file is missing". Once I clear this alert for every app it seems like it importing all the songs but get through maybe 10-15 then stops. I went into time machine and went to Nov. 1 when I know her iTunes was fine. Restored the Music folder and tried it again and still a no-go..

any thoughts? I hope she didn't lose everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Try a permissions repair in disk utility, reboot and try again, and let us know the outcome. You still have everything as you have a TM backup, so I think a permissions error is most likely here.

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
will doing a persmissions repair delete everything off the Mac? Like her homework for school, pictures in iPhoto, etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
will doing a persmissions repair delete everything off the Mac? Like her homework for school, pictures in iPhoto, etc...

Nope, but in saying that, both of you should be keeping current time machine backups!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.