15" G4 Aluminium PB DC-in question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 QuickSilver (2002) - single 800MHz CPU, 1.25 GB RAM, GeForce4 MX (64MB), 40GB, 10.5
I have a 15" 1.67GHz DLSD G4 Powerbook in for repair, most likely a dead DC-in board.
The sound card randomly winked out on occasion, last week after plugging in headphones there was some weird burned smell but it went away once the jack was in correctly and the PB worked for a few more days.

Then on Monday it said it was on emergency charge and the owner put the charger in. The PB then rapidly alternated between "charging" and "not charging" state before it decided that it wasn't going to do any charging and shut down.

Since then nada. No light coming on when the charger is plugged in, with or without the battery. PMU and PRAM reset have been done.
No backup battery available.
EDIT: Tried another charger as well. No joy.

Took out the DC-in board (charging jack is slightly bent and looks a little crispy) and under a sticker I find the part number "820-1820-A". I am located in the UK. This PB has a UK keyboard so most likely not a US import. Now when I check online shops I get the part number "820-1820" - minus the A. However, I can't find any shop that sells both. Is this the same part? It sure looks like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
The "A" at the end is actually a dead extension put there for any other releases of the same DC-in board but they never did release any more. So to answer more simply yeah its the same.

- Simon

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 QuickSilver (2002) - single 800MHz CPU, 1.25 GB RAM, GeForce4 MX (64MB), 40GB, 10.5
Sweet, that was quick! Thanks alot! Now please wish me luck that I manage to put the thing back together again :-D

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right... got the correct DC-in board, put it in... still nothing. No lights, no reaction whatsoever, with and without the battery. Even tried with second charger.
Ripped everything apart again to make sure all connections are OK (following Installing PowerBook G4 Aluminum 15" 1.67 GHz DC & Sound Card - iFixit) - all looks fine but still no go
Tried another PMU reset - nope

Any other idea what I can try? PRAM battery, maybe?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.