How do I control Drag/Drop-Cut/Copy?!

Reaction score
Hi...

I'm a lifelong PC user who now uses a Mac at work. I've adjusted fine for the most part, but there is one thing that kind of boggles me. Sometimes when I drag and drop files they copy. And sometimes they cut. I sincerely think the computer knows what I want, because it always does the opposite.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks!

(p.s. I heart TotalFinder for drag and drop in Macs)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Dragging will never "cut" a file.

Dragging works the same way as it does in Windows:
1. Dragging a file from one folder to another on the same volume will move the file, unless you do not have the ability to modify the original folder, in which case it will copy it.
2. Dragging a file from a folder on one volume to a folder on another volume will copy the file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, the end result of Move is the same as Cut and Paste.

But yeah, it either Moves or Copies, as explained above.

When it's going to Copy, a green circle with a + sign in it appears.

When it's going to Move, it just does it. If that isn't what you wanted, you have to drag it back.

You can force it to Copy to a folder on the same volume, by holding down the right key. (It's either Command or Option. I'm not at a Mac, and can't rely on my memory!)

The same trick works to force it to Move when the default behavior is Copy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Well, the end result of Move is the same as Cut and Paste.
Yeah, cut is sort of like half of a move.

When it's going to Copy, a green circle with a + sign in it appears.

When it's going to Move, it just does it. If that isn't what you wanted, you have to drag it back.

You can force it to Copy to a folder on the same volume, by holding down the right key. (It's either Command or Option. I'm not at a Mac, and can't rely on my memory!)

The same trick works to force it to Move when the default behavior is Copy.
All very good tips. Actually, both Command and Option are relevant. Option will override the move and force a copy, as above.

Command will override the copy behavior and force a "move", even across different volumes (It will actually copy the file and then delete the original immediately, since you can't do a real move across separate volumes.)

So basically, look for the green +. If you see it and you don't want it, press Command before you let go. If you don't see it and you do want it, press Option before you let go.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks! I want to hug you all, I'm so happy to know that. I knew there was a reason for all that.

(p.s. if moving is half of cut, then what do you call half a copy?) =P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.