3 Finger gestures not working :(

Reaction score
I'm an extremely NEW Mac user but quickly was falling in love with my new to me 15.4" Macbook Pro. It was originally purchased new in May of 2010 with the following specs:

2.66 Ghz i7
8 Gig Ram
7200 RPM - 500Gig HD
Anti-Glare Hi-Res

Computer is great, fast, and easy to use... However, somewhere along the way the 3 finger gesture of swiping to the top and bottom of pages has quit working. The 4 fingers still work and I've installed a program to make sure the touch pad is recognizing all of my fingers and it is...

The settings have been verified in preferences, I've turned them off, rebooted, turned on, rebooted, and tried everything I could find using google and nothing is making it work.

I did a reinstall of the Os (took forever to download the gig plus of updates afterwards - so I don't want to do that again!) over the existing data (it never asked me which kind of install to do - I just ran it from the desktop - not rebooting while holding a key).

I think the issue popped up when I added an add-on to firefox and it wouldn't run again. I had to remove firefox completely and it will ONLY run now if I run it without download helper or install the new Beta of FF.

The 3 finger swipe isn't working in ANY of the programs...

Please help - I just got the computer a few days ago and don't want to send it off to Apple already...

I've wore search out (how I found this great forum) and still nothing works... Come on gurus - help an old PC guy out!

OP
C
Reaction score
Just some more updates so hopefully someone can help me....

So far, I installed Better Touch Tool and it has temporary fixed the problems in Safaria and I found another fix for the FF beta ( about:config ) in the address bar and then change some code around but overall the system 3 finger swipe doesn't work...

I did change the system profile 3 finger swipe to "drag" and it worked great. Thought I might have solved it by doing that but when I went back to the "navigate" option - it still didn't work....

Extremely aggrivating...

My only option at this time is to back up my data to a hd I'll have to purchase and then do a clean install....

If I do that, will I have to go through and setup my boot camp partition as well or will it keep it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
My three finger swipe navigation has always been limited to left-right from day one, top/bottom of page is not the default in Finder or Safari, ONLY in Firefox. So, is your left-right swipe working??

OP
C
Reaction score
The left / right swipe does work. Just the up down as shown in the system preferences. I found one post where apple gave the person a new laptop under warranty for this issue but several post where people have fixed it....none of those things worked for me.

I'm pretty anal about that kind of stuff so when I know it works on my friend's Mac and used to work on mine it will drive me crazy!

Thanks for any help and suggestions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
In system preferences, if I hover over the three fingers section with 'swipe to navigate' selected, the demo video only shows left-right, not up-down. Does it show up-down for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
is anyone else getting 3-finger up/down swipe to navigate to top or bottom of Finder windows? Because I only get this in Firefox.

Reaction score
AFAIK three finger gestures up/down are not native to OSX. Some browsers use them though. I can three finger up/down in Opera. For Safari it seems unnecessary with 2 finger inertial scrolling.

Can you more clearly state your concern?

OP
C
Reaction score
I might be crazy (jury is out on that one) but I'm pretty positive that the 3 finger up and down was in everything with scroll bars on my new in may 2010 macbook pro. Maybe not???? It for sure works in Firefox beta with the change and using the better touch tool it works in everything but finder.

Reaction score
I might be crazy (jury is out on that one) but I'm pretty positive that the 3 finger up and down was in everything with scroll bars on my new in may 2010 macbook pro. Maybe not???? It for sure works in Firefox beta with the change and using the better touch tool it works in everything but finder.

My Mac has never 3 fingered up / down, stock, using OSX. Some software you can add on can add this or do it by itself, within itself.

I'm almost 18 months in the Mac world…things go better if you embrace it rather than convert it to windows… So for example try using Safari more, it is a great browser and can be tweaked. I don't think all your OS reinstall work was necessary.

If your only problem is not three finger up / down scrolling…that's something I never noticed.

Make sure you enable 2 finger inertial scrolling, and that you adjust the various sliders to taste.

OP
C
Reaction score
I've got the two fingers up and running and for the most part have adjusted to the MAC OS. Still got a few "huh" moments to figure out... Like why the normal firefox will only work until I install download helper (must have add-on for me) and then lock up. However, the beta works great with download helper.

In fact, the only reason I don't use Safari is that I use download helper a lot for short video clip grabs...

I do have one problem that I've not been able to find an answer to but to use my windows PC for... I'm a Self-storage owner and use a web based software management program. When I click on the type of payment I need to take - the input windows don't appear for the type of payment I want to take. On the PC - everytime! They say it's a "mac" thing and that I should use a PC. It does the same thing on firefox and safari and my android phone....

So far, that's the only "issue" that is irritating me with the mac system. Everything else is GRAVY!!!

Reaction score
I've got the two fingers up and running and for the most part have adjusted to the MAC OS. Still got a few "huh" moments to figure out... Like why the normal firefox will only work until I install download helper (must have add-on for me) and then lock up. However, the beta works great with download helper.

In fact, the only reason I don't use Safari is that I use download helper a lot for short video clip grabs...

I do have one problem that I've not been able to find an answer to but to use my windows PC for... I'm a Self-storage owner and use a web based software management program. When I click on the type of payment I need to take - the input windows don't appear for the type of payment I want to take. On the PC - everytime! They say it's a "mac" thing and that I should use a PC. It does the same thing on firefox and safari and my android phone....

So far, that's the only "issue" that is irritating me with the mac system. Everything else is GRAVY!!!

Grabbing youtubes?

Here are a few ways…within OSX just hit command-option-a and then doubleclick one of the large files and you can DL the video as an FLV. You can convert that different ways if needed once you have the file saved. I use Toast to convert to iPod friendly files / resolution.

Or try: YouTube downloader tool - Fastesttube! which is an extension to Safari, very simple. Right click, select download video, it gets saved as an MP4 if desired. Or select the download button on the screen and select your file option.

OP
C
Reaction score
Wow, didn't know that... Thanks! Might go back to Safari as my default. The better touch tool gives me the windows edge snap like Windows 7 (automatically divides two active windows across the screen so you can go between them) and a few other things I like and adds the three finger swipe up and down to everything. REALLY nice.

THANKS!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.