Gremlins in Adobe Illustrator CS4

Reaction score
I've suddenly had a problem with Illustrator CS4 where once I've
selected an object with the cursor, I can't deselect it (when I click another object, I then have them both, and so on), so I have to keep using Deselect All (Control/Shift/A). Clicking into space doesn't work as it should. Also I can't
use colour from swatches or palettes to fill objects, and this latter problem began at the exact same time. While browsing online forums, I noticed someone else had the identical problem three days ago, but nobody seemed to have the answer.

This has nothing to do with the Universal Access Sticky Keys setting!

At first I tried every Illustrator setting and preference I could find, and since then I have tried throwing away the preference files and re-booting my Mac (MacBook pro 17 inch running OS 10.6.5). This helps for a short time, which is curious, but then the problem returns.

I tried returning to my old CS2 version of Illustrator, but now I have the same problem there too!

Could it be an OS conflict of some kind? I recently downloaded Mac's standard Software Update and I'm wondering if that's when all the trouble started.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated!

Thanx

Rick

Reaction score
You're not alone.

Hi Rick.

Experiencing the same bug.

Illustrator CS4, OSX 10.6.5

I haven't found a solution yet, but glad I'm not going crazy

Reaction score
me too

I'm also having this problem, and these other bugs have shown up:
  • Changing colour - I cannot change the colour of any elements on the page, whether I use the colour picker, select a swatch or whatever.
  • Resizing elements using the pointer (v) always resizes proportionally as if the shift key is held down (sticky keys not on!) Resizing using the transform panel works fine.

I've trashed the settings several times (manually through the finder and by holding shift-opt-cmd while launching app), it didn't fix the problems even temporarily.

My CS apps are all updated fully, as is mac os. CS5, mac os 10.6.5, Late 2010 iMac.

Help - this makes the app almost completely useless!

Reaction score
Solution found!

I found this post on the Adobe Forums

Adobe Forums: CS4 + 10.6.5 - Delete Photoshop...

Scroll down to Reply #72

There's a link to a file posted by an Adobe employee that will temporarily fix the bug when it occurs.

Long term, it's been reported to Apple, and they're apparently working to resolve it.

This'll get you out of trouble though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.