A couple of newbie questions

A

AdtheBad

Hi there all. Apologies if these are answered elsewhere - but I couldn't see them anywhere. I have just bought a Powerbook (my good it's good!), and would like to be able to send my e-mails when I am connected via Airport. I have no problem picking up my messages into Mail, but it will not send them. I am guessing this is something to do with the smtp server, in which case can someone advise what I should do so I can send e-mails direct from in Mail.
On another matter - I have a Sony Clie PDA, and I used to hotsync it to my PC via Infared (it's basically a bit of a hassle to have to connect the cradle etc via USB). Obviously the Powerbook doens't have a Infared port, but I was wondering if you could get a convertor that could plug in to the USB port and read the Infared signal. The Mac store doesn't seem to have anything - but it would seem logical that this could be done. Of course I could always buy a new PDA with Bluetooth - but I can't stretch to that at the moment. Any advice gratefully received.

OP
H

Harryc

For iRDA, look into the Belkin Smartbeam. I have read that drivers for it are built into OSX, but please do contact Belkin first to confirm. If you get it working please post back here.

OP
A

AdtheBad

Harryc said:
For iRDA, look into the Belkin Smartbeam. I have read that drivers for it are built into OSX, but please do contact Belkin first to confirm. If you get it working please post back here.
Thanks very much for that - will look into it and report back!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.