Mac Pro backup configuration

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 8-core. I boot from the following drive...

Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache

I recently bought this drive to use as an internal backup drive...

Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 5400RPM 32MB Cache

My question is...how should I set up this 2TB drive as a backup? I know the various RAID settings are good for different applications...but I'm just looking for a standard backup system that is reliable. Doesn't need to be super fast (that's why I got the 5400RPM). Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

OP
M
Reaction score
Should this be in "Other hardware"???

Maybe I need to be more specific...

Which is best for my needs, FAT32, Journaled, RAID 0, other? This is just a back up drive. I just want to routinely back up my files.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it's just a backup drive and that's all you're going to use it for, format as HFS+ Journaled. That allows you to use Time Machine, SuperDuper, and Carbon Copy Cloner for backups and\or cloning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest purchasing SuperDuper as it is much, much quicker than the free version and you can maintain it weekly using Smart Update which only takes a few minutes. Well worth the few dollars.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.