How do you create a folder on the desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi guys,
I know that this is going to be one of those simple things when I will kick myself for not being able to find it, but I have tried looking all over the place and I can't see any info.

I want to simply create a folder on my desktop that I can give a name to myself.
I then want to be able to do two things with it.
1 ... Drag files to this new folder and drop them into it.
2 ... Make it so that downloaded files are downloaded directly into that folder.

I don't want to alter the default download folder where normal downloads go. I just want to be able to direct downloads to the new folder when appropriate.

Any ideas?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Right click the Desktop and choose "New Folder." Name it as you will. It will act like any other folder.

#2 - Depends on the browser you use. For Safari, go to Safari > Preferences > "Save downloaded files to:" and change that to your new folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you want to a download to go anywhere other than the Downloads folder, just choose "Save As" from the menu or right click on a file, image or link and instead of choosing "Save to Downloads folder" choose the "Save As" option just beneath it. From there you'll get a Finder dialog where you can navigate to the folder of your choosing. If you don't see a full Finder window, be sure to click on the little blue button with the black triangle on it next to the field where you name the file.

Or if you know that you want all downloads from a particular program to go to a specific folder, go into that application's Preferences menu and change the default download location.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
**Kick**...... **Kick** .... **Kick*

See?? ... I knew it would be simple.
Thanks very much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Right click the Desktop and choose "New Folder." Name it as you will.

Or, from the Desktop, hit Command-Shift-N (⌘ = command)
And you don't have to name it "as you will" ;)

C

chas_m

And yet another option (and a better one IMHO):

There is already a specific "downloads folder" in your Home folder. Just drag this to the dock, which makes a "shortcut." Done!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" MAC desktop 3.06 GHSintel Core2 duo 12GB 1067 MHz DDR3 YOSEMITE
Thank you that was easy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.