Couple of Questions (Considering Buying).

Reaction score
Considering buying an iPad and was wondering if users could clear up a couple of things for me.

1) I know you can use messengers, such as Yahoo, on the iPad. However can you have them running in the background, like on a laptop, and carry on surfing/emailing/whatever, and the messenger alerts you when the person you are speaking to has replied?

2) Is multi-tasking out yet? When is it due out? For me, I'm defining this as being able to have multiple tabs open on Safari, with something like a word processor running, and switch between them without having to quit either.

3) How good is mifi? I'm thinking it might be better for me to pay more for a WiFi-only iPad and get one with more space, and then get a dongle. I would very rarely use 3G, but I want the option to be able to use my iPad away from WiFi hotspots, should the need arise. How easy is mifi to use?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
Considering buying an iPad and was wondering if users could clear up a couple of things for me.

1) I know you can use messengers, such as Yahoo, on the iPad. However can you have them running in the background, like on a laptop, and carry on surfing/emailing/whatever, and the messenger alerts you when the person you are speaking to has replied?

2) Is multi-tasking out yet? When is it due out? For me, I'm defining this as being able to have multiple tabs open on Safari, with something like a word processor running, and switch between them without having to quit either.

Both points relate to Multitasking but its not out yet for the Ipad but I think will be in the 4.2 update releasing next week.

Multitasking doesnt allow you to have multiple tabs open in one browser just to have one app open and switch to another one without closing the previous app.

In terms of getting an Ipad you wont regret getting one as they are great fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
As mentioned, multi-tasking for the iPad comes with iOS 4.2 soon.

You can switch between multiple tabs in Safari. They run Full Screen, so you will only be able to view one tab at a time. But you can jump back and forth between the open tabs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.