Question for those who have upgraded to 4.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If software in the dev area is released as GM (gold master) then it's permissible to talk about since it's no longer under NDA and is slated for public release. Also discussion of features that have been made public by Apple is allowed.

4.2 is GM and therefore public. Xtools is also only available via dev download, but it's also permissible. OS X 10.7 is not permissible because it's still under the NDA as an example, same goes for 10.6.6 at this point.

Also in the future, if you feel a post is violating the rules, you can always use the "report post" function.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I didnt think yo report the post as i thought the information that i get back from you would have beneficial to the the community, and from what i read in your reply, it is GOOD information that the community can take on board for future reference

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Personally I'm not against Mac OS beta talk on the forums, be it X or iOS. As long as it's just speculation and anyone under an official NDA does not talk then it's ok by me. And these lines of talk could bring up some good idea that could be forwarded to Apple via their feedback page.

I know the GM's are against talking about OS versions that are pre-Gold Master. But heck even Jobs talked to the public about a pre-Gold Master OS (10.7). So if it's all taboo to chat about at all, why would Jobs give the sneak peak to the public. it's obvious he wants to keep the public informed and get every one excited about 10.7 or whatever version os whatever OS he is peddling at the time.

Sure official chat about unreleased features would be a no-no. But since those of us who do not work for Apple have any clue for certain what till be in a release or not. We can guess. Sure we'll we might get some right and some wrong. But it's fun to guess and chat.

And before the GM's go all "but we have our rules" on this. I say if it's ok for Jobs to tell us in a keynote, then it's ok for us (who are not giving away Apple secrets) to chat about it. If Jobs didn't want people talking about it, he would not have made the keynote featuring it. Sure this is directed at 10.7 but can also be applied to any OS Apple previews in a keynote.

That is for unreleased OS chat. But for help cause you installed a beta Mac OS on your Apple product and it borked your device or computer, then you're so out of luck. Either Contact Apple as a developer and they'll help you sort it out or don't download via torrent Apple beta OS's if you are not a developer. A little patience and it'll be released :). in short chat about the OS but don't cry on these forums "Apple Beta OS borked my computer". Cause these forums is not the place for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Personally I'm not against Mac OS beta talk on the forums, be it X or iOS. As long as it's just speculation and anyone under an official NDA does not talk then it's ok by me. And these lines of talk could bring up some good idea that could be forwarded to Apple via their feedback page.

I know the GM's are against talking about OS versions that are pre-Gold Master. But heck even Jobs talked to the public about a pre-Gold Master OS (10.7). So if it's all taboo to chat about at all, why would Jobs give the sneak peak to the public. it's obvious he wants to keep the public informed and get every one excited about 10.7 or whatever version os whatever OS he is peddling at the time.

Sure official chat about unreleased features would be a no-no. But since those of us who do not work for Apple have any clue for certain what till be in a release or not. We can guess. Sure we'll we might get some right and some wrong. But it's fun to guess and chat.

And before the GM's go all "but we have our rules" on this. I say if it's ok for Jobs to tell us in a keynote, then it's ok for us (who are not giving away Apple secrets) to chat about it. If Jobs didn't want people talking about it, he would not have made the keynote featuring it. Sure this is directed at 10.7 but can also be applied to any OS Apple previews in a keynote.

That is for unreleased OS chat. But for help cause you installed a beta Mac OS on your Apple product and it borked your device or computer, then you're so out of luck. Either Contact Apple as a developer and they'll help you sort it out or don't download via torrent Apple beta OS's if you are not a developer. A little patience and it'll be released :). in short chat about the OS but don't cry on these forums "Apple Beta OS borked my computer". Cause these forums is not the place for that.

I suggest you reread my post in this thread and perhaps research what an NDA or Non-disclosure Agreement is and then understand our position. ;)

The point remains. If you have access to software and are under an NDA we will not allow you to share information you shouldn't be sharing.

There's a difference between that and random people just speculating on stuff. You are confusing different things and making a mountain out of a mole hill so to speak.

As for what Jobs chooses to say, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's his company, he can say what he wants, and is probably not under an NDA. Things that Apple makes or choose to make public is not covered by an NDA.

You need to do more research on this before acting like we're out of line.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.