Help please - How to reconnect iTunes App with iTunes Library

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Today I did what I've done many times before.

I followed precisely the "iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media Folder" so that I could get a backup copy on my EHD.

It all went fine.

But now, when I open iTunes, all the playlists & music are shown exactly as before - but click on a Tune and it says "the song...could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?"

As you will see from my specs, I have iMac with 256GB SSD which is called HD AND also HD2 which is my 1TB optical drive.

On the HD2, I find listed iTunes Music which seems to be intact - 172.6GB

On the SSD, I find under myname/users/Music/iTunes, more or less the same - 173.1GB

When I open the iTunes App, under Preferences/Advanced, it lists the library as /user/myname/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media.

So I have goofed up somehow, but as far as I can see ALL my iTunes & Playlists are there, strangely on both the SSD and HD2 as shown above.

I don't know whether the SSD or the HD2 version is the "correct" one.

In any case what I'm seeking is a means of "connecting up" to my music so that it not only displays when I open the iTunes App, but plays the music as well!

Can you help me please. Any further info easily provided.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
what songs to you want it to link to , HD2 or the SSD?

I would rename the library in /user/myname/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media. to iTunes Library back-up

When you next fire up iTunes it will ask you to find the library file or create a new one. Crete a new blank library then drag the folder on which ever drive you want to be the source of your music into iTunes to create a fresh library file

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
what songs to you want it to link to , HD2 or the SSD?

I would rename the library in /user/myname/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media. to iTunes Library back-up

When you next fire up iTunes it will ask you to find the library file or create a new one. Crete a new blank library then drag the folder on which ever drive you want to be the source of your music into iTunes to create a fresh library file

Dear louishen

Not for the first time you have come to my aid. I decided that the HD2 was the "original" because when I bought the iMac, I transferred all the libraries like iTunes, iPhoto & Aperture to HD2.

I therefore chose HD2, did what you said, messed about a bit and got there. I now have a working iTunes.

Thank you very much.

I think that the Apple advice which I followed is intended for single HD not SSD and HD. GOK!

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.