G5 PPC, PC Emulator and sending midi/sysex messages

Reaction score
Just checking there isn't a workable option for the following problem before I give up on the idea.

I'm running a G5 PPC and can't run editors/librarians for a couple of pieces of music equipment I have, one editor is only available for PC and the other is only supported for intel macs.

The PC only editor would communicate to the device via a USB to midi lead and the intel mac only one via USB though the G5 PPC, my G5 sees the device via USB but doesn't support it according to the audio/midi utility.

I've managed to get the PC only editor running on both a trial version of winehelper and crossover but suspect the odds of it communicating sysex/midi messages successfully are pretty slim.

The other editor wouldn't run through either winehelper or crossover.

So my best option seems to be to pick up an old, cheap laptop unless there's a cheap, fairly simple way of making it work with the G5 I'm missing.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So my best option seems to be to pick up an old, cheap laptop unless there's a cheap, fairly simple way of making it work with the G5 I'm missing.

That's your best bet. Even if you "could" get it to work with WINE helper or Crossover, it would be extremely slow and prone to errors.

Reaction score
+1 for getting another computer for that purpose. There is simply no good way to run Windows on a PPC. It will drive you to distraction... Sorry.

OP
P
Reaction score
gratcht from

That's your best bet. Even if you "could" get it to work with WINE helper or Crossover, it would be extremely slow and prone to errors.

+1 for getting another computer for that purpose. There is simply no good way to run Windows on a PPC. It will drive you to distraction... Sorry.

Thought so, thanks both for confirming that. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.