Question about apples education discount??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
I know i am going to be getting something apple, originally a powerbook, but now i am not sure.

I found this on apples website:

Purchase Quantity
Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Laptop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
iPod: One (1) per iPod family (iPod, iPod mini, iPod Shuffle 1GB, iPod Photo) may be purchased per academic year (Note: there is no quantity limitation on iPod Shuffle 512MB)
iSight: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

I hope i am reading i right because if i am that meens i can by an iMac and a ibook instead of just a powerbook. So am i reading it right?? Can i buy an iMac and an iBook under educational discount??

If so i will i also get two ipod minis free?? (i don`t think so but i thought i would ask you guys)

If this is the case i will probably buy a stock 12in iBook and a superdrive iMac. That way i can use the iMac to do all the heavy stuff and the iBook i can take to class.

The other option i have is to buy a a 15in powerbook upgrade with the 128mb VRAM, downgrade to a combo then buy an external HD and Double layer DVD.

So what sounds better?? I will be starting a computer engingeering degree in the fall in case that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance and advice would be appreciated.

Reaction score
I'd say go with the powerbook. It's not too convinient to have two computers for college stuff, as you'd always have to transfer from one to the other, etc. With the powerbook, everything will be with you at all times wherever you bring it. However, if money is not really a big issue, and you're not worried about transfering files, then I think having two computers is somewhat good just incase something happens to one of them (being theft, damage, or whatever other issues may arrise).

Good luck

Oleg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
Calsoldier said:
I'd say go with the powerbook. It's not too convinient to have two computers for college stuff, as you'd always have to transfer from one to the other, etc. With the powerbook, everything will be with you at all times wherever you bring it. However, if money is not really a big issue, and you're not worried about transfering files, then I think having two computers is somewhat good just incase something happens to one of them (being theft, damage, or whatever other issues may arrise).

Good luck

Oleg

.MAC syncs between 2 computers for you, from anywhere in the world, at $99 a year.....

that said, Id go with the 2 computer idea, sometimes its nice to do things on a desktop, no matter how cool laptops are, and due to heat issues and being limited to G4's desktops are more computer for less price as well......

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
Thank you very much for your input. Please keep it coming.

With the math i have done so far it looks like the 2 computer option is a little more expensive, which i guessed it would be. But in the end it is almost the same because of the extras i would buy for the powerbook; i.e. the burner and external HD. I did the math and i came up with about a 330 US dollar difference before tax.

So, for 330 dollars is it worth it to get two computer??

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
I still think so, yes.

Extra reliability.....
More comfortable working on a desktop in your dorm or whatever.....

Plus, lets not forget the "cool" factor :D

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The more i think about it the more i think i want two computers. Know all i have to do is figure out how to tell dad (who is...well... not the most understanding person on the face of the earth). He will probably ask why i need two computers and really annoying questions like that.

So back to my quesion. Can i get both computers with the educational discount?? I think so by what i am reading but am unsure. Anyone else want to try to explain it to me.

Thanks

B

brianwithan eye

I dont see why you wouldnt be able to use it for both computers. However if you think its going to be a problem...just order each computer seperately. But honestly I dont think that would even be necessary

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah i was thinking the same thing the only thing i think that maybe i can only get one of is the iPod mini. It says onle one per acidemic school year so if i understand it write that whould mean only one iPod mini at discount. Still though, not bad.

I am starting to lean towards the two computer option

T

Tel

Get the two computers. For one, if one system goes down you will still be able to do all your work on the other, also you'll have a more powerful desktop and will be able to get a more portable notebook (a 12" screen will be more than enough if you're going to have a 17" or 20" iMac at home)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.