os x totally gone!!!

Reaction score
I've just ruined my mac os x by trying to over-installed windows 7 without using bootcamp, and Windows wouldn't install as it needs NTFS format of HD, now i'm totally stuck!!! no mac os x, no windows 7!!! when I start my macbook, there's a "?" come up. Any suggestion for my stupid act would be much appreciated!!!

*Note: I don't have an os x dvd! :(

boom

Reaction score
If you did delete the OS X partition, you cannot reinstall the operating system without an install CD. You should be able to reformat the harddrive to use Windows, at least.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try booting by holding down the option key until you get to a boot menu. IF you didn't actually attempt the install to your OS X partition, that may get you back into OS X. If you did, you're going to need to get your OS X disc.

OP
B
Reaction score
If you did delete the OS X partition, you cannot reinstall the operating system without an install CD. You should be able to reformat the harddrive to use Windows, at least.

It doesn't give me the option to re-format the HD to NTFS... :(

OP
B
Reaction score
Try booting by holding down the option key until you get to a boot menu. IF you didn't actually attempt the install to your OS X partition, that may get you back into OS X. If you did, you're going to need to get your OS X disc.

sounds like something worth a try. I'll let you know if it works... thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Mac is this? What happened to your Install DVD? I take it you want OSX back and not just Windows 7? If so you will need your OSX DVD. Contact Apple and get a replacement.

OP
B
Reaction score
What Mac is this? What happened to your Install DVD? I take it you want OSX back and not just Windows 7? If so you will need your OSX DVD. Contact Apple and get a replacement.

I want to install only windows 7, but if I have no choice but to have Mac OS X as well, that's also fine!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Assuming this is a Mac and not a hackintosh, you're still going to need the OS X disc after you get Windows installed in order to install the drivers for your hardware.

OP
B
Reaction score
Assuming this is a Mac and not a hackintosh, you're still going to need the OS X disc after you get Windows installed in order to install the drivers for your hardware.

Yes, I've got a bootcamp driver DVD for macbook!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should just boot the machine with the Windows disc while holding the option key down. Once at the boot screen select the Win disc, and follow the prompts to install incl'g formatting the drive.

Have never installed only Windows - from what I've read, if the above doesn't work, you're going to need your OS X disc - boot from it and partition the drive using the Master Boot Record option in the advanced menu instead of the default GUID that OS X uses.

C

chas_m

Buying a Mac to ONLY run Windows is like going to a stunning gourmet restaurant and ordering tomato soup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Yes, I've got a bootcamp driver DVD for macbook!

Ummmm, am I missing something here?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.