ipod touch and wi-fi connection

Reaction score
A question on behalf of my father please - his ipod touch will not stay connected to his home wi-fi. Nor will mine if I take it over there. Both work seamlessly with my own wi-fi, automatically detects and connects, but at his house it senses the wifi network but cannot remain connected to it.
Is ity anything to do with having to configure for static ip? I know v little about any differences in wireless routers.
If he has to manually configure the wifi settings in order to stay connected, where does he go to get the relevant information?
Thanks guys.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
He shouldn't have to manually configure anything to stay connected if the router is setup correctly. How about other devices in your father's home, can they connect OK to the wireless router?

Since you didn't give us any info regarding the router.... It could be the location, maybe a weak signal or interference. Is the router using encryption? Is it broadcasting the SSID? (network name)

OP
F
Reaction score
sorry can't answer the above at this stage - he has a laptop that connects ok to the wifi.
I had a similar issue when i tried to connect my ipod touch to a friends office wifi - had to manually configure stuff for it to connect properly; I'm pretty sure at the time he told me it was a static/roaming IP thing but it may be due to SSID broadcasting or encryption.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM
Try changing the channel to 6 or 11 or something. Avoid frequencies that other appliances use and keep the router away from cordless phones and microwave ovens. Your dad may also need to update the router's firmware too. Worked for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.