MBP external Monitor hookup: Confused

Reaction score
I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what connector to get for this monitor

Newegg.com - Hanns·G HZ251HPB Black 25" 2ms X-Celerate OD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 X-Contrast 15,000:1 DCR (800:1 typical) Built-in Speakers

It has a DVI port.

I have a brand new, newest gen, 13' macbook pro (not air). I want to hook this monitor up to my MBP, but it's incredibly confusing.

Please direct me. :(

Preferably a cheap amazon version would do nicely, but if getting the right thing off of apple for full price, then so be it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
TrueBassist is correct. Here in the US, best price for the adapter will be found at monoprice.com or Amazon. Of course, you'll also need a DVI-D cable along with the adapter.

Just checked and monoprice has the mini displayport to DVI cable - save you a few coins with the adapter/cable combo - link.

OP
N
Reaction score
instance tivermin

Why would I need a DVI-D cable with the adapter? Wouldn't that come from the monitor side?

Reaction score
By the looks of it, that monitor doesn't ship with a DVI cable. Just a DVI to HDMI cable.

You'll just need the adapter to go from display port, and a DVI to DVI cable to plug it into from the adapter to the monitor. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
Would it make more sense for the OP to get a Mini-DP to HDMI adapter?

Then they could use the cable supplied with the monitor (DVI-HDMI), and as a side bonus, have an adapter that would let them connect their new MBP to HDMI devices like a TV set!

At Monoprice for $7.65

For only $6.30 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter | Mini DisplayPort to HDMI / DVI / VGA Adapters

I realize this is a little bit of an old[er] post (and the OP probably already figured it out). I was kind of posting for my own education. We have a couple of DVI monitors and I thought about occasionally connecting our new MBP to one. Figured the HDMI adapter would give us more flexability[?]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
I agree with [DT]. I am currently using the same set up. A mini Dp to HDMI and it works like a charm, but if the monitor comes with a DVI cable you can go either way. I would pick the cheaper cable.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Please note anyone reading this thread.

There are, at this time, three (3) different video out ports that can be found on Intel based Apple notebooks.

One (1) of those video ports ships with models that support audio out through the video port and other models that do not support audio out through that same port.

Do not read this thread and think "That is what I need" or "This is what worked on mine, get this".

Please don't make the mistake of purchasing adapters/cables based on the fact that it worked for someone else.

If you're looking for help in connecting yours, see the following thread:

Connecting your Mac to a TV

Specifically, that link to monoprice by DT, would not be the suggested route for one of the new Macs that support audio out, as that adapter from monoprice does not support audio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Specifically, that link to monoprice by DT, would not be the suggested route for one of the new Macs that support audio out, as that adapter from monoprice does not support audio.

Thanks for the heads up! That was my first look into DP adapters, and didn't realize some aren't designed for audio. I found a few super cheap options on Amazon, but went with a brand name that was distributed direct from Amazon (so free 2-day shipping, easier returns, etc.).

It's the Kanex iConnect V2, supports HDMI video/audio on latest model MBPs (mid-2010 machines), so it looked like a terrific option for our one week old machine, for the occasional TV connection and to use one of our larger displays (with an HDMI -> DVI cable).

It was ~$8 cheaper than the Moshi ($21 to my door) and just as well reviewed.

Also picked up Parallels 6, but that's a different post I suppose :)

Getting some great info out of this forum, I'll probably subscribe as a paid member.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Kanex is a good choice. The <$10 mdp adapters have gotten so messed up at Amazon that I can't recommend any of them for folks that have audio support on their Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Meant to follow up sooner. Got in the adapter, and it works terrific! On our Sony TV, it worked perfect, just had to go into the Audio Prefs and select the out device (Sony TV was listed).

Hooked it up to my new Viewsonic VG24 series monitor and it looks amazing running 1920x1080.

Thanks for the extra info and confirmation on the Kanex product!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.