Macbook pro screen only turns on when external monitor is plugged in

Reaction score
I installed a trial version of SwitchResX to increase the resolution of my external monitor to the correct resolution, but that wasn't working the way I wanted it to and I uninstalled it. So as of now, I'm using my external monitor at a lower resolution that what it's capable of (this is fine and currently the least of my worries).

The problem I'm having now is that when I unplug my external monitor, my Macbook Pro's screen goes "blank" but is still on (the lights are still on and just appears black). The MBP monitor is not broken, as the screen comes back when I plug in my external monitor. Even when I turn off the computer and start it up without the external, the startup screen appears black as well. But when I plug the external in, everything is fine.

How do I fix this?

OP
R
Reaction score
Oh I figured it out. The resolution for when my external wasn't plugged in was causing my mbp to be at a resolution that wouldn't work (causing the black screen). I plugged in my external monitor, opened up the display options and made sure my cursor was near the resolution options. After unplugging my external, I just clicked and used the arrow keys to change the resolution back to its original, causing the screen to come back again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.