Screen Size monitor problem

Reaction score
I have a mac mini connected to a 32" 720p LCD monitor via HDMI. Works fantastic! Here is my issue... The apple screen size on the monitor does not take up the entire screen. There is a 2" black gap between the apple window and the monitor. I have taken "overscan" off which allows the window to fit in the monitor area. With "overscan" on, it's too big and the apple window is too large for the monitor screen. I have tried all the other settings in the preferences menu. 720p is the only one that seems to work. Is there any way to make the apple screen fit the entire monitor area..or am I stuck with a 2" gap in the screen.

C

chas_m

It's probably your television, but what is the ACTUAL resolution setting you have for the Mac mini? For 720 it should be 1280x720.

OP
M
Reaction score
Actually, it just says 720p. There area a few that just have the resolution. ie: 1080i, 1080p, 720p, etc. I have tried all of them and none seem to completely fill the page correctly. With or without overscan on. Not sure what to do.

C

chas_m

I am not talking about your television. I am talking about the display preferences on your Mac mini. What resolution is that set for?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thats what i was refering to. It's set at 720p which is what the tv is also set for.

C

chas_m

"What we have here ... is a failure to communicate!" :)

Let me start again: are you using this Mac mini in Extended Desktop mode, or Mirror Mode?

The reason I ask is because your answer does not make sense if you are using Mirror Mode (which I would presume is what you want to be doing with this setup).

The preference I'm talking about should look something like this:
osx_display_prefs.png

And if you have it set for Extended Desktop, you should change it to Mirror using the "Arrangement" tab:

osx_display_prefs_arrange.png

OP
M
Reaction score
Huh, I do not have that tab that says "Arrangement" I only have "Display" and "Color". Why don't I have that option?

C

chas_m

Huh, I do not have that tab that says "Arrangement" I only have "Display" and "Color". Why don't I have that option?

Because I'm a dummy. I was thinking you had two screens, not one. The newest Mac minis can do two screens.

Sorry, my bad.

So, now that I properly understand the issue, the answer is: you're stuck with the 2" gap, I think. This is the closest "match" between what the mini can output and what the TV will accept. As long as it's sharp and clear I wouldn't worry about it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
See post 2, item 2 - here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.