Should I get the iphone 4 or an ipad?

Reaction score
I know this is stupid, but I'm honestly not sure. My birthday and Christmas are coming up. I currently have an 3GS that I got around last December that's bugging me (the sleep/wake button decides when it want to work).

Anyway, so since I already know what my birthday present is, and I don't want to ask for much, I either want a 16g ipad or a 32g iphone 4. I know this might be the wrong place to ask, but what do you think is better? Pros/cons.

Thank you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
I know this is stupid, but I'm honestly not sure. My birthday and Christmas are coming up. I currently have an 3GS that I got around last December that's bugging me (the sleep/wake button decides when it want to work).

Anyway, so since I already know what my birthday present is, and I don't want to ask for much, I either want a 16g ipad or a 32g iphone 4. I know this might be the wrong place to ask, but what do you think is better? Pros/cons.

Thank you :)

Depends if you want a phone or a mobile computing device. You could probably sell your 3gs for a couple of hundred pounds and then use this towards the cost of an Iphone 4.

Reaction score
I would keep the 3GS and get an iPad. Once you have one you just can't go back to doing things on the small smartphone screen. I mean it turns into just plain torture.

Reaction score
Simple your iPhone is already broke, so iPhone 4. Besides 6 short months the new iPad will be coming out with front facing camera and retina display. I would wait for that Ipad, 10" retina display.....worth the wait. :)

Reaction score
go for the iphone 4! if your 3gs is busted, maybe you can still sell it and get a few bucks out of it. then just save up for an ipad. but i would go with the suggestion of other people here, wait for the next generation of the ipad. i'm sure it will have more and better features. hth!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Besides 6 short months the new iPad will be coming out with front facing camera and retina display. I would wait for that Ipad, 10" retina display.....worth the wait. :)
Really?

This guy is usually very secretive when it comes to the features and release dates of new products.

steve-jobs.jpg

Do you work for Apple? If you don't, then this is just a rumor. If you do work for Apple, you'll be fired on Monday!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Do you work for Apple? If you don't, then this is just a rumor. If you do work for Apple, you'll be fired on Monday!

Quote of the day!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro
I have both and have found each serves its own purpose. Couldn't live without them. I use the iPad for reading, web viewing, etc etc. The iPhone is in a class by itself.

C

chas_m

"iphone4" should have added "I think" to his prediction of the iPad II (electric boogaloo) in "six months," but he's probably basing that on the yearly-upgrade path of the iPhone, and that's a pretty reasonable guess. The original iPad debuted in April, and various non-speculative signs do point to a spring upgrade.

I agree with most posters however that in your particular case, and given the timeframe, your best option is an iPhone 4 -- or at least a replacement iPhone of some kind. No matter what the put into the iPad, you'll still need a cell phone that works.

Mind you, you COULD pick up a used iPhone 3GS and put the money you saved away for the eventual release of the iPad II ...

Reaction score
It depends on the use. If you have a laptop computer and that suits most of your computer needs you may not have much use for an ipad anyway and you may have a ton of use for a phone. I don't own an ipad but I'd like to have one. But I'd never choose it over a phone upgrade. Phone is always with me and serves a purpose. A lot of them. It has my entire life on there. I do lots with it.

An ipad would basically be a device for fun and browsing the net for guest that visit my apartment because I don't want anyone using my macbook pro.

If you travel a lot the ipad might appeal to you more but most people that have them don't really travel a lot. It's just a cool gadget to have. When I get one I won't even get a 3G one. I will get the wifi only. Because I will use it in my home and when I go somewhere I will be using it somewhere that would be with wifi anyway.

Think about the situation, What will you do with this phone and what will you do with this ipad? There are plenty of people who can give you a whole list of uses that are important for the ipad but most of those people don't do nowhere near half of those things. They just want a cool gadget and that's perfectly fine. So do I!

I won't be getting an ipad until I can view flash or until the web goes into html 5 more. I don't want to go to websites and not be able to view most videos. This is why my android phone always comes in handy. I can see a website the way it's meant to be seen. On my iphone 4 I can't. Huge drawback for me.

Reaction score
I have both in my household. The iPhone is my "go to" for a quick reference, and is always with me.

The iPad stays at home, and I generally reach for the MacBook instead of it if I want to get online and write.

So far, there are 2 things I prefer on the iPad: Watching Netflix and using Amplitube for my guitar. Otherwise, I prefer my iPhone/MacBook combination.
YMMV.

I never had a 3GS, I went from a 3G to a 4, and the difference is remarkable. From the screen resolution, to the speed, to the camera, its a completely superior experience in every way possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.