emac 1.25gHz screen

Reaction score
How frustrating!
Have just reinstalled 10.4.11, and Word/Excel/Entourage, loaded printer drivers and wireless keyboard. Even setup a network so my son and daughter can share printers and files which I thought was quite clever of me.
Then the screen goes!!
What causes this and is it really so difficult to fix??
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Then the screen goes!!
What causes this and is it really so difficult to fix??

I'm not really sure what you mean by "screen goes" (could be any number of symptoms/outcomes)...but the #1 reason is age.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
The screen froze a second or two then went black and now is not working at all.

Can hear the computer booting up and if I connect firewire I can still 'see' the drive.

Steve

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the monitor is gone...it's gone. Unfortunately just one of the things that happens with CRT monitors & "All In One" computers.:(

As far as the drive...you should be able to use "Target Disk Mode":

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1661

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
The screen froze a second or two then went black and now is not working at all.

Can hear the computer booting up and if I connect firewire I can still 'see' the drive.

Steve

Hmm... Seems weird that the screen would just all of a sudden die... I would think that you would experience flickering-on/off darkness before it would just die... But if the screen is truly dead... You could always just hook up an external and think of the eMac as a big tower. You've still got a good computer in there, it's just that the screen died.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Nick says age .. CRT screens are getting past it alas! Also be aware that model eMac has bursting capacitor problems so it may be worth cracking open and checking the out. Nick and other will tell you methinks they make great kellicks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also be aware that model eMac has bursting capacitor problems so it may be worth cracking open and checking the out.

Nice catch Harry...I missed that detail!:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for all that. I did think it was the end of it .

Typical as i now have 3 dead emacs, all within the last year. i have about 100 mB of pics and music between the 3 of them to gat off now!

Much as I love the emac I guess I should look for a G5
S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Sounds like you're having bad luck with eMacs. You don't have to send them to the recycling bin though, all they really need is an external monitor and their up and running again. Like I said before, just consider the eMac a REALLY big tower computer. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well they are aging technology. Suggest purchasing an external Firewire case and mounting the eMac hard drives and recover your photos etc that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
You don't have to send them to the recycling bin though, all they really need is an external monitor and their up and running again.

Good one MD!!! Yaaaay!

Something else positive coming out of these eMac threads is that most of Mac-Forums' members will soon know what a kellick is, thanks to Harry's contributions. :) Should we ask schweb to make kellick a sticky, d'y think? ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.