Mac Mini media server question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MPB
Greetings!

I'm looking to pick up a used/refurbished mini to use as a media server and was wondering what model will meet my needs(read, how cheaply can I go) I'm planning on connecting an external drive or two to house a fairly extensive library of music and movies and then streaming it to my Apple TV(the new one). An Intel mini is already a given, but will an older Core Solo, or Core Duo machine suffice? How much RAM would I need.

All this computer would be used for is ripping DVDs, using Handbrake to convert .avi files to .MP4, running Transmissions or another torrent client and iTunes.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
Pick up a Solo or Duo and run it through your normal routines. If it seems to be not up to the tasks, you can always update it yourself. These early intel minis have socketed processors. You can upgrade from a 1.5 solo to a 2.0 C2D for around $60-$70.

My mini started life as a 1.5 solo. It is now sporting a t7200 2.0ghz and I have removed the mini PCIe Airport card and have replaced it with an eSATA card. I have an internal 500gb and 8tb in an external enclosure (Mediasonic Probox 1). The mini makes for a great little media center in this configuration.

I don't have an Apple TV, this computer is hooked directly to my Sony HDTV and surround sound system. So maybe I need a little more processing power than you will. The solo may be enough for what you need!!

Oh...and max it out on RAM. It is fairly inexpensive, and Handbrake will need that extra memory.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MPB
Wow, thank you very much! I was completely unaware that the processor could be upgraded so inexpensively. Has the RAM been a limiting factor ? According to my understanding, the maximum RAM the older minis can take is 2gb.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.