• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ditching cable tv for streaming

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Agreed!

I've long-since thought they should have ala carte options, and I would have no complaint with digital cable. I have several hundred channels and watch maybe a dozen of them, if ever. Why do I need LOGO?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hulu Plus seems like a HUGE rip off to me. Eight bucks a month and you still have to endure commercials (flash no less)

Actually, how much do you or other people pay for cable? And how many commercials do you endure during a 1 hour show? With Hulu I see maybe 3 15-30 sec commercials in an hour.

I'd rather pay $7.99 than $60-$120+ for cable.

plus, they don't offer any more seasons or episodes than on regular Hulu, from what I can see. I was just looking for all the seasons of House and Lost and there's only one season of House (the new season so only 7 episodes.. how does that make ANY sense) and they still don't have the last season of Lost available.

All seasons of Lost are available as well as many other shows and seasons not available for regular Hulu of other shows and the selection keeps growing.

Oh and you can't get HD with regular Hulu but you can with Plus and the quality is better than Netflix.

Oh and I can also watch Hulu Plus on my Samsung TV (without the hassle of needing to hook up my laptop), iPad, and iPhone.

Meh... maybe I'll just stick to books instead.

Doug

Probably best as I've never seen anyone so dramatically negative towards things they don't like. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Just buy a $20 antenna and get the local stuff in HD over the air for free.

Could someone direct me to an example of that $20 antenna? I'm curious as to signal strength and picture quality. "HD"? Really? Will that work on my 5 yr. old Sony Trinitron or do I need a newer LCD or plasma TV?

Does "local stuff" mean NBC, ABC, CBS?

I'm sticking with regular Hulu (and Netflix). Picture qualify is fine with my MBP connected to my TV and it has all the shows I'm interested in. ...except for 2 or 3 that run on ABC because ABC are jerks and won't run full episodes of those shows online in the first place. :Angry-Tongue: <--- This lack of 2 or 3 shows is the only thing holding me back from ditching my cable at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Actually, how much do you or other people pay for cable? And how many commercials do you endure during a 1 hour show? With Hulu I see maybe 3 15-30 sec commercials in an hour.

I'd rather pay $7.99 than $60-$120+ for cable.
Sure, who wouldn't? But that was my point. Personally, I don't pay for cable right now. I have access to shows such as Scrubs, House, Lost etc via downloading. I can hook my MacBook Pro's up via HDMI and stream, or I can hook my external HD's up directly to my tv and play .avi files.

I agree that the number of commercials is less offensive, but I guess where I'm coming from is that I'm used to paying for premium services online to get RID of the commercials and ads. Which brings us to your next point:

All seasons of Lost are available as well as many other shows and seasons not available for regular Hulu of other shows and the selection keeps growing.

Really? Then Hulu isn't very good at advertising this. I was just at the hulu plus site, and looking through the selections and did not see what you just described. Is it possible that they don't even allow one to see their entire "Plus" catalog? If that's the case, stupid. They should show people what they're missing, if it's such a drastic comparison.

Oh and you can't get HD with regular Hulu but you can with Plus and the quality is better than Netflix.

Could be a good thing or could be a so so thing. What is the HD output, 720 and 1080? One would need a fairly stable and fast connection for this in order to not get any halts etc.. I'm not saying most people's connections couldn't handle it, but it's still a factor.

Oh and I can also watch Hulu Plus on my Samsung TV (without the hassle of needing to hook up my laptop), iPad, and iPhone.

Yeah now that's cool. I wanted to get a set which did that, but couldn't find one that played nicely with both Hulu And Netflix at the same time, as well as having an USB port for divx/avi playback. One day I'll likely go that route though, when these lawyers finally stop messing stuff up (see: dropping off the face of the earth) and let us have everything in one package.

Probably best as I've never seen anyone so dramatically negative towards things they don't like. ;)

I confess. I do it all for you Schwebb. The entertainment value in watching you get all riled up over my sentiments, is far better than anything one could possibly hope to see on tv, Hulu OR Netflix. :Evil:

Whaddia say you send me an invite to Hulu Plus, now that we're on the subject?

Doug

Edit: Looked through the "Plus" availability again, and NO... they do not have every episode of Lost. They still only have 5 seasons. Same thing with House. One season, 7 episodes. That's a fail to me. I would pay expecting them to host every available season of said shows since they're already out on DVD. Otherwise, what content are you really paying for, which you can't download elsewhere ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Could someone direct me to an example of that $20 antenna? I'm curious as to signal strength and picture quality. "HD"? Really? Will that work on my 5 yr. old Sony Trinitron or do I need a newer LCD or plasma TV?

Radio Shack, Fry's, Micro Center, and many other electronic resellers stock inexpensive indoor antennas which work OK in strong signal areas. If you live in a fringe area, a good outdoor rooftop antenna is going to cost much more.

Your 5 year old Sony will need an adapter box to receive the digital channels over the air. If you had gotten one of those free discount coupons from the US government when they were available, you could have had an adapter box for around $10 from Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

And yes, local stuff will include those channels that are broadcast locally over the air in your receiving area. Generally that includes the networks and other private channels. The nice thing about digital TV is that the stations can broadcast several or more sub-carrier signals within the same band so you wind up with many more channels. For example: Here in Dallas we have NBC channel 5, 5-1, 5-2, and 5-3. All carrying different programming.

OP
neonmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it
Cable has been off now for 3 days and we do not miss it one bit. Saving $1700 a year. Sure Stormchasers in on tonight for the season finale, however I get to watch it for free on youtube tomorrow.

So far so good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure, who wouldn't? But that was my point. Personally, I don't pay for cable right now. I have access to shows such as Scrubs, House, Lost etc via downloading. I can hook my MacBook Pro's up via HDMI and stream, or I can hook my external HD's up directly to my tv and play .avi files.

I agree that the number of commercials is less offensive, but I guess where I'm coming from is that I'm used to paying for premium services online to get RID of the commercials and ads. Which brings us to your next point:

Commercials don't bother me, they're short, and I have about 1.5 mins of them in an hour show, I can deal. The convenience factor alone is worth it to me rather than having to setup some torrent RSS and then drag my laptop around to hook up to my TV, etc.

Plus Hulu Plus is also paying for the app development so you can easily watch Hulu on your iPad, iPhone and many other internet connected devices. So no, you're not only paying for commercials.

And speaking of commercials, Hulu lets you setup preferences and just started allowing you to mark commercials as "not interested" so it can better tailer what you see to you tastes, sometimes, I actually like seeing the ads.

Could be a good thing or could be a so so thing. What is the HD output, 720 and 1080? One would need a fairly stable and fast connection for this in order to not get any halts etc.. I'm not saying most people's connections couldn't handle it, but it's still a factor.

Hulu HD quality is pretty darn good. It's perfect on my TV, definitely better than Netflix HD stuff and second only to Vudu HDX. Hulu's HD quality actually has gotten great reviews around the net.

Yeah now that's cool. I wanted to get a set which did that, but couldn't find one that played nicely with both Hulu And Netflix at the same time, as well as having an USB port for divx/avi playback.

Another option rather than necessarily needing a USB port for that (which btw my set does have one), is to look for a set that's DLNA compliant. We just setup a DLNA server app on one of the Macbook Pros and stream it to the TV just like it was Netflix.

Overall I guess the theme of what I'm saying is that I know I could get these things commercial and cost free (although again, torrenting them isn't legal, but that's another discussion), but to me the convenience is worth it. Not having to find ways to automate downloads, having all kinds of wires, and dragging my laptop back and forth to the TV is worth it to me.

Compared to what I paid for cable, paying $7.99 for Hulu Plus and $12.99 for Netflix saves me about $100 / month. It's all about perspective and priorities.

Whaddia say you send me an invite to Hulu Plus, now that we're on the subject?

I would, except it's open to everyone, no invite needed. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I'm sticking with regular Hulu (and Netflix). Picture qualify is fine with my MBP connected to my TV and it has all the shows I'm interested in. ...except for 2 or 3 that run on ABC because ABC are jerks and won't run full episodes of those shows online in the first place. :Angry-Tongue: <--- This lack of 2 or 3 shows is the only thing holding me back from ditching my cable at the moment.

Here's the antenna I use:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001FV36E/?tag=macforums0e4-20

We have it stuck up in the attic and attached to the coax so both TVs in the house can get the signal. HD picture quality is outstanding.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
We just setup a DLNA server app on one of the Macbook Pros and stream it to the TV just like it was Netflix.

I'm getting a Samsung BR Player with Netflix and Hulu Plus for Christmas, and it's also DLNA certified. I can't wait!

What DLNA server app are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Did Netflix through the PS3 for the longest time, but finally went with cable. Short of downloading torrents of HBO shows, there's no other way to get stuff like Eastbound & Down, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, and the upcoming Game of Thrones without paying for cable or paying an outrageous expense for the seasons when they're released. They average about $100 a season, iirc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True Blood is on Netflix. That's how I watched it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.