Mac Pro graphics card failing? pics

Reaction score
I need some help here folks. I was sitting at my computer today when it all of a sudden took a dump on me.

Specs:
MacPro3,1
Dual processor 2.8 Quad-Core Intel Xeon
10gb RAM

Graphics:
Screenshot2010-11-15at51001PM-1.png

I already tested it on different monitors and it comes up the same on all. I took a screenshot and it looks normal.
This is what the screen looks like now:

photo-35.jpg

From what research I've done, it seems like my graphics card is going out. I just thought it couldn't hurt to stop by here and ask you guys before I purchase a new one. Also, if you have any recommendations as to what card to get next I'd appreciate it. I use it for Final Cut Studio, CS5, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

-ap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sure looks like failing GPU. Have you removed the card and reseated it, and tried with a different PCIe cabling set up?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What display is that connected to? That looks like the old days on a CRT display when the resolution or frequency was set wrong and the monitor could not display it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Sure looks like failing GPU. Have you removed the card and reseated it, and tried with a different PCIe cabling set up?

I haven't reseated it yet, but I opened it up and dusted it out, let it sit for a few hours with no luck. I don't know much about video cards and don't really have a different cabling set. I'm gonna try reseating in a bit.

What display is that connected to? That looks like the old days on a CRT display when the resolution or frequency was set wrong and the monitor could not display it.

Its connected to a dell E228WFP as you can see in the pic.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I can faintly see the power light on the monitor in the pic in your post.

Can you try the Dell on another system? Just to be sure?

OP
A
Reaction score
I can faintly see the power light on the monitor in the pic in your post.

Can you try the Dell on another system? Just to be sure?

I was referring to the first pic, where it says what monitor is connected;D

I've connected the computer to other monitors with no success.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, the Screen picture caught my eye and I did not even look at the specs that hard.

If it does the exact same thing on different displays, it has to be the video card.

One quick question, how did you get that top pic? Screenshot?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@atlfokus

It's this statement of yours that's throwing me a curve ball:

I already tested it on different monitors and it comes up the same on all. I took a screenshot and it looks normal.

When a screenshot looks normal, that's usually an indication that the graphics card is OK. Are you sure the screenshot you took looked normal? Can you take another and post it here?

I agree with dtravis7, the picture you submitted sure looks like a frequency or sync problem. That's why I'd like to see another screenshot posted here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@atlfokus

It's this statement of yours that's throwing me a curve ball:

When a screenshot looks normal, that's usually an indication that the graphics card is OK. Are you sure the screenshot you took looked normal? Can you take another and post it here?

I agree with dtravis7, the picture you submitted sure looks like a frequency or sync problem. That's why I'd like to see another screenshot posted here.

Agreed. I have seen that exact thing (like I said above) on many monitors where the frequency was set wrong. I know I am old school with many Analog CRT monitors, but that is what is looks like. All the Video Card issues I have seen are very different looking. I could be wrong but I have never seen that exact picture where it was the Video Card.

I a also confused! :D

As an example. I have my Intel Mac Mini hooked up to sony WEGA TV. One day I was in a hurry and messing with the video settings on OSX and accidently selected PAL instead of NTSC. Looked almost exactly like your picture. It was a pain to get it back to NTSC!

Just another note, there is a possibility it's still the card. I am not sure how you are hooking up, whether VGA, DVI or what, but VGA for example has R,G,B and Vertical Sync and Horizontal Sync pins and grounds. If one broke on the card it would cause that picture. Have never messed around with a DVI port to see what signals are present. That is the only issue I can think of.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.