• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Repurposing my old PM G5 case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Forewarning: this thread might breach on EULA violation, but i'm not sure, it's kind of a grey area. If it makes any mod uncomfortable, feel free to let me know and close it, I don't mean to offend, but I'd like some insight.

So, I was thinking... I have my old dual 2GHz powermac G5 with a fried logic board and possibly fried CPUs sitting in my dad's basement. I'm considering getting new hardware for the internals and kind of customize a seating arrangement for it. I figure I get pretty decent accommodations from Intel. I could probably get a nice motherboard and an i7 or two for a fairly reasonable price. I'm thinking it'd be sweet to "hackintosh" my old powermac with updated hardware. I'd go all in and get a 5870 for it, too.

How do-able do you think it is? Is it completely in violation of the EULA or only iffy? Would it even work well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
With the case, you can do whatever you want with it...it's the software that matters. I've been thinking of doing the same thing with the spare G5 case that I have, just not all at once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You can do whatever you wish with the cases fellows, only running Apple software breaches the copyright.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, but does it really? Like, if I bought a logic board and an i7, it'd effectively be a mac pro haha. If I get a non-EFI enabled motherboard and trick it though, then it's no longer a mac. At what point is it no longer Apple hardware? I mean, i suppose I could turn it into a linux box, but that'd be a waste.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well they and their Legal Department thinks it does. These are the conditions you as a purchaser of software agree to.

A. Single Use License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you have purchased a Family Pack or Upgrade license for the Apple Software, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's a big f'in Apple logo on the outside of the case. If I pay my 30 bucks, that does not violate A. The last working OS on the machine was 10.5.3.

Reaction score
There's a big f'in Apple logo on the outside of the case. If I pay my 30 bucks, that does not violate A. The last working OS on the machine was 10.5.3.

I think it's pretty clear. If the guts of your computer (the motherboard) is NOT made by Apple, then you can't use it to run an Apple OS. The case is NOT the computer, just its house.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The logic boards Apple sources aren't made by Apple.

Reaction score
The logic boards Apple sources aren't made by Apple.

I worded that poorly. Whether or not Apple 100% manufactures the board is not the point. If it's not an "Apple-branded" computer, you can't use OS X on it. That is crystal clear in the EULA.

Once again, just because there's an Apple logo on the case, does not magically make anything you put inside it Apple-branded.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The RAM i put in it has a crucial brand on it. Am I violating the EULA? I mean, come on. Either way, I'm running OS X on it if the project goes down, but we'll see if it ever does.

Reaction score
The RAM i put in it has a crucial brand on it. Am I violating the EULA? I mean, come on. Either way, I'm running OS X on it if the project goes down, but we'll see if it ever does.

Then you will be violating the EULA if you do. What does the ram have to do with this? That's like changing the brand of spark plugs on your Mercedes' engine. It's still a Mercedes' engine. But if you're going to use a non-Apple-branded motherboard, then that's like putting in a Toyota's engine into your Mercedes--it's now only a Mercedes in appearance from the outside. It's just an analogy, so please don't try to pick it apart. The point is, the EULA is obviously referring to the board, not the ram, hard drive, video card, etc.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can use any EFI motherboard. They are not apple branded. That's also like saying that the Mustang you souped up under the hood isn't a mustang still.

Reaction score
I can use any EFI motherboard. They are not apple branded.

Well, really this type of discussion (Hackintosh) is not allowed on M-F, so I'd just drop it if I were you. You're obviously already determined to violate the EULA if given the chance.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And you're obviously blind to any view beyond "omfg, but, but, the EULA!" I paid 2500 dollars for that tower. The logic board fried. That wasn't my fault. If I replace it, I should still be able to run OS X on it. The last working OS was 10.5.3. It's not hackintoshing it as much as it is necromancy.

Reaction score
And you're obviously blind to any view beyond "omfg, but, but, the EULA!" I paid 2500 dollars for that tower. The logic board fried. That wasn't my fault. If I replace it, I should still be able to run OS X on it. The last working OS was 10.5.3. It's not hackintoshing it as much as it is necromancy.

Running Apple's OS on non-Apple-branded hardware is the definition of Hackintoshing. It's something you agree not to do when you purchase and install OS X. Apparently, you don't respect Apple's ownership and licensing stipulations. You do realize you don't own the OS, right? You've just been licensed it under specific regulations. Same as any software.

As I said, you've obviously already made up your mind to make up your own rules regarding the EULA, so this conversation is ended.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right, my conversation with the member who has 5 of his 48 total posts in this thread is over.

Apple branded hardware.

brand (brnd)
n.
a. A trademark or distinctive name identifying a product or a manufacturer.
b. A product line so identified: a popular brand of soap.
c. A distinctive category; a particular kind: a brand of comedy that I do not care for.
2. A mark indicating identity or ownership, burned on the hide of an animal with a hot iron.
3. A mark burned into the flesh of criminals.
4. A mark of disgrace or notoriety; a stigma. See Synonyms at stain.
5. A branding iron.
6. A piece of burning or charred wood.
7. A sword: "So flashed and fell the brand Excalibur" (Tennyson).

tr.v. brand·ed, brand·ing, brands
1. To mark with or as if with a hot iron. See Synonyms at mark1.
a. To mark to show ownership.
b. To provide with or publicize using a brand name.

3. To mark with disgrace or infamy; stigmatize.
4. To impress firmly; fix ineradicably: Imagery of the war has branded itself into the national consciousness.
[Middle English, torch, from Old English; see gwher- in Indo-European roots.]
brander n.

appleg5_302.gif

What is that big thing in the middle anyway?

Reaction score
Just thought others might be interested in a negative feedback remark I just received from DarkestRitual:

****ish bonehead who refuses to deal in the hypothetical and thinks i wont know who he was

Real nice fellow, eh?

What a shame that some people just cannot bear to admit when they're wrong. I've always considered it part of growing up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
UNfortunately what you're describing is against the EULA and US Copyright DarkestRitual. You can play word games and make personal assumptions, but in the end, the result is the same.

The main question you need to ask is, do you need to modify the OS or "trick" it in anyway to get it to run on your hardware, if the answer is yes, then it's a hackintosh and against not only Apple's EULA but also in violation of US Copyright law since you're illegally modifying code to get it to work.

Because we don't allow discussion of illegal activity, I'm going to lock this thread.

I also want to point out that the behavior in this thread is appalling. I suggest everyone reads the first Community Guideline in order to check your attitudes:
Mac-Forums Community Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.