• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple promises unforgettable iTunes announcement coming Tuesday

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Ok, now that the Beatles are out of the way how about we move onto releasing iOS 4.2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I look at it this way iTunes being the largest distributor of music currently and them finally getting the Beatles is a big deal ,hope they keep getting the catalog expanded.
I have always enjoyed most of their music along with a lot of others since I am very
diversified with the exception of rap and disco.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Seriously the beatles are not gods. I think it's unfair to all the other just as talented (or not talented) artists deserve an equal shot at itunes recognition. The beatles do not deserve special treatment no matter how good you think they are.

I really think Apple doing this is very unprofessional. And I have left Apple itunes store feedback saying exactly this. I've never been 100% mad and against any Apple decision till now. Sure put them on itunes. Sure give them big itunes store page real estate. But a big special announcement of the Apple home page itself? Seems someone at Apple is still smoking the hippie weed.

So in short yeah this proves even Apple can screw up in a major way. And sure Apple will say "well they are famous". ****. Syphilis is famous but they don't flash it around every web home page. And neither should the beatles be. End of story.

I am rather mad at apple for doing this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8 GHz 4GB Ram, 320Gb, Internal HD; 2 x 1TB External HDs iPod: 16GB touch
Uh, that was it... fail...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This was an iTunes announcement. Why did people expect new Macbook Pros, new IOS, new hardware. Itunes is music/video software. I said this before and will repeat it. If it was anything MAJOR there would have been an event like with the release of the new Air and preview of Lion.

Apple did just what many said they would do, release a group that Steve Jobs has wanted in the Itunes Store for ages. He finally got his wish.

Anyway off my soap box and back to business as usual on Mac Forums. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Chas, did you compare the release of Beatles songs on iTunes to the iPad? Not for nothing but, those two things are so completely apples and oranges in terms of relevant news! Yeah, the Beatles were real good but... YaAAWN. If a parent isn't exposing their kids to great music because they're too lazy to put a CD in or some vinyl on, then that's just sad. Sorry but, iTunes is NOT the be all end all of mediums. It's convenient, sure.. but far from either the only or even the best way (audio quality) to showcase music that you love.

But hey.. just so long as STEVE is happy, that's all which matters here. I lul'd.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I agree with dtravis7 if they were going to 64bit or make a layout change in iTunes it would have been a Keynote and not an announcement. For all of us older folks we already
had most of the groups on iTunes but for the new generation that only uses downloads it
at least gives them a chance to listen and buy or walk away. iTunes has helped me find
new artists that I normally would not take a chance on and if I really like it I buy it on CD
the next time I am out. Being somewhat of an audiophile I prefer lossless.

C

chas_m

Chas, did you compare the release of Beatles songs on iTunes to the iPad?

No, I didn't. The post was a random collection of thoughts, at least one of which turned out to be right and the others didn't.

As for the merits of the Beatles, they *are* the Holy Grail of music groups to have on iTunes, and it *is* an exclusive, so yes it's a big deal whether you think so or not. I'm not sure it was worth me staying up, mind you ... but actually I was doing that anyway. :)

In hindsight it should have been obvious to us that it would play out this way. You don't do a web-page-only announcement at 7am if you have something Event-worthy. This is a huge coup for Apple but as is obvious from these posts, people under 40 don't really give a ... hoot ...

I for one AM pleased at being able to buy the soundtrack for Yellow Submarine after all these years ... some really great (and usually overlooked) music there!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it
So it is the Beatles. How tense the wait was. Sad part is that you can buy the Beatles CD in most stores and just copy it to your ipod. Perhaps I am being to harsh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the excitement level around the Beatles is completely defined by which generation you're in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I for one AM pleased at being able to buy the soundtrack for Yellow Submarine after all these years ... some really great (and usually overlooked) music there!

And how is this different to all the other artists out there who have their music on CD, vinyl, old cassettes and finally itunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
And how is this different to all the other artists out there who have their music on CD, vinyl, old cassettes and finally itunes?

I have to agree. This certainly didn't need to be a homepage worthy suspense drama.

I think Apple is getting skewered generally by people who thought this was a huge letdown if you look at all the Social Media channels and blogosphere. I doubt we'll see something like this again for something so trivial if they have a PR department with half a brain.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Seriously the beatles are not gods. I think it's unfair to all the other just as talented (or not talented) artists deserve an equal shot at itunes recognition. The beatles do not deserve special treatment no matter how good you think they are.
Led Zeppelin > The Beatles (just throwing that out there). Having Zep in the iTMS is much more important to me. I say this as a way of demonstrating what many people are thinking - they'd much rather ensure that the music of one particular band is available over having access to The Beatles catalog.

This was an iTunes announcement. Why did people expect new Macbook Pros, new IOS, new hardware. Itunes is music/video software. I said this before and will repeat it. If it was anything MAJOR there would have been an event like with the release of the new Air and preview of Lion.

Apple did just what many said they would do, release a group that Steve Jobs has wanted in the Itunes Store for ages. He finally got his wish.

Anyway off my soap box and back to business as usual on Mac Forums. :D
+1000. ;) Couldn't agree more.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the excitement level around the Beatles is completely defined by which generation you're in.
Perhaps but older bands tend to have quite the following with young people and this may be exciting for quite a few "youngins". I'm a huge Zep fan for instance.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'll always remember this day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And this is all over the Apple start page too. That's my safari home page cause it's nice. And now it's just got that band on it. And nothing else. So yeah I might have to temporarily change my safari home page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
No, I didn't. The post was a random collection of thoughts, at least one of which turned out to be right and the others didn't.

you said:
I seriously doubt this what the announcement is actually about (why would it be at 7am?), but it IS a big deal for a lot of people. Just because you're not one of them doesn't mean it's not a big deal. Look at how many people HERE scoffed at the iPad when it first came out.

Just checkin'. ;D

vansmith said:
Led Zeppelin > The Beatles (just throwing that out there).
Only in the mind of one whom doesn't know that some of Zeppelin's biggest hits are a DIRECT/BLATANT rip off of someone else's music. Don't believe me? The proof is out there. They even had to pay settlements to one of the artists they ripped off. I'll give em this: They performed the music they stole better than the original artists. Heck, they even stole from that cheesy 80's band Spirit !

blogovich: Led Zeppelin as rip-off artists

Zeppelin. MEH. Just throwin THAT out there. ;)

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think it's safe to say that they might have over done *just a bit* with the "unforgettable" phrase. It's just a band...I don't think it needs to be on the front of the apple site! They were right though...this was unforgettably lame. At least they could have kept it as a display in itunes. The Apple site? Come on, I don't think people go there to check out music! That's usually a place left to download software, and look at old/new hardware.

I think SJ got a bit overexcited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Apple jumping the shark in time for the holidays... I'm a Beatles fan, but my life changes 0% if they are, or are not available on the iTunes Store. This is a win for Steveo's ego and little else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it
I think it's safe to say that they might have over done *just a bit* with the "unforgettable" phrase. It's just a band...I don't think it needs to be on the front of the apple site! They were right though...this was unforgettably lame. At least they could have kept it as a display in itunes. The Apple site? Come on, I don't think people go there to check out music! That's usually a place left to download software, and look at old/new hardware.

I think SJ got a bit overexcited.

Keywords that defines your post. "Unforgettablly Lame ". I so agree that Apple wasted peoples time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Surprised? Absolutely. Disappointed? Not particularly. I didn't expect anything that I was hoping for.

I already have the Beatles remastered collection, and they're already ripped to my itunes. The bonus here, is that I don't have to scan the cd covers, now, which I've been putting off doing, because I'm lazy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.