Apple TV capabilities

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 GHz C2D 4GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 9400 | iPhone 3GS | TV2
I was thinking of getting one now that they've been updated a bit. So I wonder if someone can explain the a couple of aspects to me?..

Is organisation of media automatic like Front Row or can be fiddled manually like on iTunes?
Is media transferred to the Apple TV's hard disk or is it streamed for the moment? If it's streamed is there any lag?
Can you play even films that you haven't bought on iTunes?
I understand you can access YouTube from the Apple TV. The only mentioned input device by Apple is the apple remote. Is this sufficiently refined do you think when searching for YouTube videos by name?
Can you choose different video quality when using YouTube as you can on their website? This might aid any streaming delays I imagine?

Thanks for any forthcoming help/advice ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1) It organizes by Media Type (Movies, TV Shows etc) as well as playlist. Movies and TV Shows are broken down by Unwatched, Genre or All (All is aphabetical). TV Shows and music are the same.

2) The New ATV2 doesn't have an internal drive. It streams real time but I have noticed that it will load the media to the 8Gb flash memory while it is playing and then lay from there. I have encountered no lag but Apple reccomends an 802.11 G or N capable network for best performance. Performance is VASTLY improved over the original ATV.

3) Yes. If you rip it in a format that the ATV can handle, it will play. Keep in mind that iTunes can handle more formats than ATV can.

4) It's ok. It brings up an on-screen keyboard that you use the remote to move between letters. Somewhat cumbersome but it's usable.

5) I have no idea.

OP
archos4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I heard the new apple TV has an internal flash drive. So that looks after itself automatically. Good to hear.

I guess having a 4 Mbps down and 0.6 Mbps upload speed will be fine. My router's wireless N capable as well.

Thanks very much: you've helped a lot. :) If anyone can answer my last question that'd help also :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Unfortunately NO :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Unfortunately NO :(

Agreed. My daughter does watch YouTube via my ATV and she says there is no selection. I suspect this has to do with the fact that you are not viewing the same YouTube database as you do on your computer. It's the same one that they created for the iPhone (ATV is an iOS device after all) so it seems to be limited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
YouTube videos that aren't encoded in h.264 will not be viewable on the ATV since it doesn't support Flash.

Reaction score
I understand you can access YouTube from the Apple TV. The only mentioned input device by Apple is the apple remote.

Apple Remote software (Free from the ITunes App Store) and an Ipod Touch, IPhone or Ipad gives you keyboard access when using YouTube on the Apple TV.

Plus full control over everything else.

OP
archos4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's good as I've got an iPhone :) thanks for clarifying the YouTube stuff people.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.