• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

window media audio/visual files will not play

Reaction score
Hi,
I made 100's of videos using windows media encoder (screen captures). They all work fine on my PC but my MAC customers can only get audio, even though they can play other window media files. You can go to my website where one of these such files is located (Pre Algebra Videos by College Professor)
Any help in knowing how to get these videos working would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Jomo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
Tried it in VLC and its says "VLC doesnt support MM2 format there is no way to fix this"

I would imagine that because WMV files are Windows Media Video files that they may not be supported on Apple machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It doesn't work, can you re-encode the wmv file in the wmv3 codec rather than MSS codec, then Flip4Mac can view it. Otherwise flash video would be a better option if you want a truly cross platform video

Download Windows Media Encoder 9 onto a PC (it's free).
2. Click on "Convert a File".
3. Locate your original file and name your new file.
4. Continue to follow the simple onscreen steps until your file has been saved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
It doesn't work, can you re-encode the wmv file in the wmv3 codec rather than MSS codec, then Flip4Mac can view it. Otherwise flash video would be a better option if you want a truly cross platform video

Download Windows Media Encoder 9 onto a PC (it's free).
2. Click on "Convert a File".
3. Locate your original file and name your new file.
4. Continue to follow the simple onscreen steps until your file has been saved.

User has 100s of videos so they would need one that does mass conversion. Not sure if this would work:-

MPEG StreamClip can do batches, and has quite a few formats.

If not Google "Mass Video Converter"

It might be worth trying one first to see if it works before converting lots of files.

Perhaps its better to convert to AVI and then that will definately work on Windows and Mac.

OP
J
Reaction score
wmv files

Are you suggesting that I re-encode the wmv file in the wmv3 codec using WME? If so, well I do not see that option in WME.
Which flash video do you recommend?
Thanks for your time.
Jomo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would suggest what Clive12 said. Try converting one file using MPEG StreamClip to the standard windows media 9 format, or better AVI (but if you go the AVI route, use the H264 codec), and send a test file to both mac and windows users

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

Once you get the right file (test AVI with the H264 codec and mp3 audio) then MPEG StreamClip can do batch conversions.

I suppose while WME sounds like a good idea, with more and more people using macs its proprietary MIcrosoft only codec makes it a poor choice if you want an open standard that is cross platform

Anyhow, MPEG StreamClip is free so give it a go

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi,
I tried MPEG StreamClip but it didn't recognize my wmv files. What is so different about my files??!! Any other ideas?
Jomo

C

chas_m

Jomo: what is different about your files is that they use a particular codec that has never been translated to anything else. Not Linux, not Mac, nothing.

There are (literally) hundreds of codecs, and about three of them just don't work on anything but Windows. And you happen to have chosen one of those.

Re-encode the files to a more standard format, then Macs and PCs and anyone else will be able to see and hear them.

Reaction score
Whenever I can I tend to encode the audio in mp3, but sometimes it won't be compatible with the container, especially the windows ones are picky, .flv would be web capable too, thats the advantage there, if you put the content online.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.