wireless keyboard

Reaction score
i have had a spill on my Mac book and now 5 of the keys won't work unless the capslock is on. My question is can I buy a wireless keyboard and will it work? Apple wanted $700 to fix it and the keyboard only costs $70. But I hate to buy it and find it won't work. I love my little Mac, this is my first one.
Thanks so much
granny

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can certainly try a wireless keyboard, but I would probably go with a wired USB keyboard as they are less expensive and more durable. The reason Apple quoted you the $700 price is for a new logic board which is under the keyboard, not for the $70 keyboard.

Spills usually cause considerable damage which does not always show up right away. Depending on what you spilled, the residue of it is probably on your logic board.

OP
P
Reaction score
new keyboard

So does that mean that a new key board won't help? It was a small amount of water that was spilled. I will try the wired keyboard if it will work.
granny

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The wired keyboard should work OK. What I'm referring you to is the fact that spills sometime cause damage which can show up later on, not right away.

OP
P
Reaction score
should i open it up

I was thinking if the warranty is not god because of the spill, shold I open it up and make sure it is dry? It has been almost two months since it happened. In the meantime I will order the wired keyboard.
Thanks so much.
granny

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's already been two months, don't worry about it. The water has undoubtably dried - just hope that it didn't do any other damage to the underlying electronics.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.