External HD issue?

Reaction score
I upgraded my internal HD and was going to use my old HD for a external HD backup. I have it in a enclosure hooked up with a USB cable. I can not get the external HD to show up in disk utility to re-format it. I've tried restarting the computer and left it plugged in over night. Any suggestions would be great. Not sure what it means, but when I plug in the HD it beeps a couple of times.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect the external carrier you're using is either defective or of the incorrect type. Also check the drive mounting to the connector within the carrier. You need an external carrier that is capable of converting a SATA HDD to USB in order to use it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I know for a fact that you can do this so don't lose all hope. It may be something as simple as a loose connection either between the cable and the enclosure and/or between the HD and the connection inside the enclosure.

OP
B
Reaction score
I suspect the external carrier you're using is either defective or of the incorrect type. Also check the drive mounting to the connector within the carrier. You need an external carrier that is capable of converting a SATA HDD to USB in order to use it.

I have used this enclosure before without problems. So that's what's got me confused. Any chance this could be because the HD was in the laptop as a startup HD?

I know for a fact that you can do this so don't lose all hope. It may be something as simple as a loose connection either between the cable and the enclosure and/or between the HD and the connection inside the enclosure.

Ok thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop it back in whatever machine it came from and see if it works okay. Perhaps the drive has died.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.