• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

MacBook Pro DVD app !!

Reaction score
Hi guys ..

I have just got my first MacBook Pro,
How can i burn AVI movies onto DVDs to play them on my home DVD player,
Im using Toast Titanuim, i dont want to burn AVI files as DVD movies, just normal burn as data ( like in PCs ), then play them on my DVD player.
I tried Mac built in software but my home DVD player couldnt play it !!

Thanks ....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Your DVD player in your entertainment center plays just plain AVI's on a DVD without converting? In other words, on your Windows machine, you just burned a DATA DVD with the AVI file on it and your set top DVD player would play it upon insert ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Burn them as data discs in Toast.
@Dtravis. Some do, especially cheap ones it seems, my daughters £30 player plays AVI from data discs. It looks rubbish, but it works!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your DVD player in your entertainment center plays just plain AVI's on a DVD without converting? In other words, on your Windows machine, you just burned a DATA DVD with the AVI file on it and your set top DVD player would play it upon insert ?

Exactly ,,
I want to burn the avi file as data without converting ,
In Toast which option should i use in DATA category !!
so i can play on my home dvd player .
One more thing, why when i drag or copy any file to burn using Mac built in burner it takes the files as Shortcuts !!

Thanks

Toast.png

C

chas_m

That's normal for the built-in burner. It works fine.

As Kevriano said, just burn the files to a data disc in Toast (ISO9000 is fine).

If that doesn't work, select the Video tab and choose the DIVX option. That should do the trick.

OP
M
Reaction score
That's normal for the built-in burner. It works fine.

As Kevriano said, just burn the files to a data disc in Toast (ISO9000 is fine).

If that doesn't work, select the Video tab and choose the DIVX option. That should do the trick.

Thanks chas
But the ISO09000 didnt work
and there is no Divx option inside video tab !!

OP
M
Reaction score

Thank you for your reply

C

chas_m

Thanks chas
But the ISO09000 didnt work
and there is no Divx option inside video tab !!

I'm actually using the previous version of Toast (9), never saw a compelling reason to go to 10, but here's what it looks like on mine:

Screen shot 2010-11-18 at 3.25.11 AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.