Re-installing OS and copying files back via Time Machine

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro has become rather slow of recent, and I've been advised by an Apple Genius that a fresh reinstallation of Snow Leopard (my current OS) would help in speeding it up. I've also ordered extra RAM to double it to 4GB.

My hard drive is a meagre 120GB which is now at only 12GB remaining and I use Time Machine to back up.

Could someone please tell me how, once I've reinstalled the OS to it's original factory settings (albeit not to Tiger) how I copy just photos, music and software back to my Mac without having to trawl through all of the individual back ups?

Many Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No matter how many times you reinstall, your machine is still going to be slow. What it comes down to is that you need a larger hard drive and more memory. The memory upgrade should take care of one side of the problem. Now, order a large hard drive to care of the space problem. Large fast hard drives are inexpensive and not difficult to install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I agree with the above comment.

To get ready for a new drive I also did this procedure. I formatted my TM drive then backed up my drive (this will force a full backup). Swap your HD out to something larger. Once the drive is installed load the new version of SL, making sure to reformat the installed drive from the SL DVD (use Disk Utility). Upon the restart after the OS is loaded, you can then restore all your files from the TM backup and your machine will be ready to use, save for the updates to get all the bits up to current.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.