HELP,my usb HD wont work

Y

yubozhao

hey guys, i need help on this one. My HD wont mount! i did check in disk utility, system's usb tree, and even reset the all set of the system in the begining of booting. NOTHING works with that usb HD, it is a usb 2.0 get power support from usb cable, and formatted in fat32. please help on, i really need xfer some datas from that HD to my powerbook(tiger with recently upgrade to 10.4.2). thx!!!

bo :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
did you repair permissions after upgrading? have you tried another usb port? in system profiler does it dhow that a device is connected?

OP
Y

yubozhao

i tried both usb ports and did check in system profiler, but i dont think i did repiar permissions after ungrading, can you tell me how??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
in utilities in applications, open disk utility, select your hd in the list on the left, then click repair permissions, after its done, restart.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Two questions. Are you plugging your disk in to a usb 2 port and have you tried another usb cable?

OP
D

Darth_Sandwich

My external laptop drive (it has both USB and FireWire ports) actually had a similar problem.

On my Windows-based notebooks, the drive pulled sufficient power through the USB port to fire up and run.

On my Powerbook (Rev D. 15" 1.67 blah blah), it drew *almost enough*. The LED came on, and the drive switched on - but the HDD just sat there, whirring and not completely spinning up. Didn't show up in profiler, didn't read in the USB tree, and didn't mount.

I thought "Well, that's wierd" and plugged in the USB-Secondary Power cord that came with my enclosure. Bam! Worked like a charm.

So I thought "Hm, that's a little annoying. What about FireWire?"

The drive pulled sufficient power through the PB's Firewire 400 connector, evidenced by the drive powering up and correctly mounting.

By this I have to deduce that the PowerBook G4 doesn't supply the same power over its USB2.0 ports that some other machines do (this was both on battery and AC, by the by). As a result, external hard disks - which require a lot of power - may not work unless powered either by its own power cord, Firewire, or the second USB port on the Powerbook.

Your mileage may, of course, vary, but this was my experience.

OP
Y

yubozhao

thx alot,Sandwich! now i just have to get a firewire for my HD,( it only have 2 usb ports without power suppoly port or fireport.......)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.