Copying files to time capsule

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB, 320 GB, OSX 10.7.3; TC - 500 GB; iPhone 4S; iPod Nano
I have a MBP set up to wireless internet using a time capsule. Time machine is working great with automatic back ups. I recently decided to store some files on my time capsule - separate from the time machine backups. I tried to simply drag and drop the files into time machine. I received the following pop up error message:

The item “file name here” can’t be moved because “Time Capsule” can’t be modified.

I'd appreciate if someone could help me out or point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
cmd-space -> Airport Utility ->Double Click your Time Capsule -> Select the Disks Tab -> Select the file sharing tab Make sure that file sharing is enabled.

After that you should see your TC under shared in the finder. You can hand mount it by going to finder -> go -> connect to server and type in afp://192.168.1.1 or whatever your ip address of your TC is. (You can also type in the actual name of the TC)

OP
jpjones
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB, 320 GB, OSX 10.7.3; TC - 500 GB; iPhone 4S; iPod Nano
Like whoa, it worked!!! Thanks!

Reaction score
Unable to copy files to Time Machine

I too have just bought a new 2TB time capsule and set it up to do backups. As above, when I try to drag a file I get the message "can't be modified". I have set up file sharing in Airport Utility. Also, the TC doesn't show up in the shared folder? Any ideas?

Ccmdphd
Ann Arbor, Mich

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Finder - Preferences - Sidebar

Check everything under Shared that you want to appear.

Reaction score
Thanks! OK everyone here is what I found for other future sufferers: the Finder will not allow me to drag any files onto the TC. But when I open up the icon on the desktop it will allow me to do it. Also I made it a shared folder, other uses have "read" but not "write".

Ccmdphd
"It's always darkest before it turns completely black".
John McCain

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Intel Core Duo, 24-inch
And how do you "open up the icon on the desktop"? all I see when I click on the TC is a "DATA" folder. I can put stuff in there, but not alongside. I've seen other posts that say the DATA folder is for TM backups only. Am I missing something?

I can get the DATA folder to mount. Is that all I get for file sharing?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.