Word 2008 rescued documents

Reaction score
So I was typing a document in Word 2008 when I tried to save it word gave me an error saying that it was out of memory and couldn't save would I like to save it in rescued document #4. I clicked yes and shut down word but I can't find the rescued documents anywhere. Does anyone know where they might be hiding. Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Should be located here:

/MacIntosh HD/Users/your user name/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 AutoRecovery/

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I saved it as Rescued Document #7 and then tried quitting MS Word. It always asks if you'd like to save the document but I said no that time because I had thought I had already saved it as Rescued Document 7 and it would not let me quit without saying "no" to saving. It had also said before that AutoRecovery was not working because I had too many windows open even though I only had my one document opened. Anyway, I shut down MS Word but now cannot find the Rescued Document. It is not in the AutoRecovery folder and I tried searching for it on Spotlight but it did not show up. Where could it be??

Reaction score
me too! need help!

i just lost 6 hours of work in the same manner. checked Autorecovery folders and the file isn't there. when i search for "rescue" to find my rescued documents, the only one to show up is from months ago. supposedly i saved 5 rescued versions of my doc before i shut down but they are nowhere to be found. any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you did not turn on "Make a backup copy" from the Office Word preferences, your documents are likely gone if you did not find them in that folder I spoke of above.

The auto recovery feature in Word does not save the entire document, only the last corrections before the crash or error.

See the following web site tips on how to trouble shoot Word: LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.