How lucky is this? Liquid Spill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
So my girlfriend was enjoying herself a nice cold beer after wrapping a production job and low and behold the bottle got knocked over dumping about two gulps of Stella right onto the keyboard of her 2.4ghz (non unibody) macbook pro...

The computer then became "odd".. obviously none of the keys were working, it was not starting up properly and so on. She has about 8 more months of Applecare on it so she decided to face the firing squad and take it into an authorized repair center.

Here's the lucky part. They not only replaced the top case, keyboard and ran a diagnostics of the computer but they did it ALL under warranty (her bill was $0.00).

I thought apple didn't cover repairs like this? anyone else ever have something like this happen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
That is lucky, and she must be really pretty, and probably got the guy who couldn't resist but to bend the rules and help out a pretty damsel in distress!

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is lucky, and she must be really pretty, and probably got the guy who couldn't resist but to bend the rules and help out a pretty damsel in distress!

That's what I was thinking. I even asked before we both went in together if I should stay behind.. she laughed at me and we both dropped the computer off, and I picked it up...

Maybe I was the "cute" one.. haha ;-)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I thought apple didn't cover repairs like this? anyone else ever have something like this happen?

They usually don't...plus there's supposed to be some sort of "moisture detectors" on the inside which the Apple technicians usually look to see if they've been triggered...so someone got really really lucky!:)

- Nick

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They usually don't...plus there's supposed to be some sort of "moisture detectors" on the inside which the Apple technicians usually look to see if they've been triggered...so someone got really really lucky!:)

- Nick

The funny thing was though, she never hid the fact that it was liquid damage (she's a believer in Karma). She told them exactly what happened. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Very lucky I'd say, and the Karma only adds to her good fortune :)

I killed my old MB falling asleep on the couch with it on the coffee table in front of me, with a beer beside it. When I woke up, I found that I had somehow knocked the beer onto it in my sleep.
No way I was going to take it into Apple (not pretty enough), so I cleaned it up as best as possible. It still works as long as it's booted off an external HD, with an external keyboard. I use it as my spare lappy. This was my excuse to upgrade to the i5 MBP :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The funny thing was though, she never hid the fact that it was liquid damage (she's a believer in Karma). She told them exactly what happened. :)

This makes things even more "lucky"! Because any sort of liquid damage is not supposed to be covered. But in many cases...it really comes down to how "generous" the Apple person is you're working with...or how they want to interpret the the warranty specifics.

The bottom line is you got really really lucky...and if I was someone else with a liquid spill...I certainly wouldn't expect the same outcome...since we have tons of threads here where folks were denied warranty coverage because of a liquid spill.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Here's the lucky part. They not only replaced the top case, keyboard and ran a diagnostics of the computer but they did it ALL under warranty (her bill was $0.00).

Great outcome. And this adds to my belief that no matter what your problem is in this world to always ask... It never ever hurts to ask and this proves my point ...

Well done to you and the missus

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.