USB Gigabit Ethernet adapter for Macbook Air?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just recently bought a Macbook Air (2010) and I was wondering if there are any good Gigabit Ethernet adapters out there for Macs?

I presume it doesn't have to be Air specific obviously as it's running the latest OSX.

I know USB 2.0 cannot max out an ethernet connection, and that the overhead with USB -> Ethernet is high. However, it will mean that I will have about double the speed compared to 10/100, and to be honest, I'd rather wait 15 minutes for a transfer than 30 :)

Cheers!
SineTwo

Reaction score
I'm having exactly the same question.

Just bought my first Mac (airbook). I want to take a DVD with me on the road, but 4 Gb takes quite a long time to put on my macbook. I would like transfer this wired, connected on my gigabit router.

Is there anything available out there which can do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I've never heard of a non-Apple USB-Ethernet adapter working with a MBA (or a non-Apple external DVD drive). However, my experience was only with owning two examples of the previous generations of MBA. Perhaps there is a work around or perhaps things have changed since then. Please post of you find something. I'm sure you can probably edit the kexts and work something out, but I wouldn't trust anything critical to such a set up.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm having exactly the same question.

Just bought my first Mac (airbook). I want to take a DVD with me on the road, but 4 Gb takes quite a long time to put on my macbook. I would like transfer this wired, connected on my gigabit router.

Is there anything available out there which can do this?

I would highly recommend getting the Transcend 32gb SDHC for that purpose. Yes it stick out of the macbook air which is EXTREMELY annoying, but for the price you get that awesome sd card for, it is worth it. Also, it's a great deal smaller than a dvd drive :)

As far as ethernet devices go, i ended up buying the 10/100 because apple's too lame to release a gigabit one :)

I did find one that was compatible in fact, but it was only available in the US, and sparingly at that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I did find one that was compatible in fact, but it was only available in the US, and sparingly at that...

Could you share the name of the product? Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.