External hard drives on network not recognized/Ethernet issue/IMovie not reading

Reaction score
Hope you don't mind a couple of issues here that are all connected. I need external storage space for video. Bought a GoFlex and thought I could hook it's ethernet directly to the IMac connection and be good. No go. The Mac will only read it if it's plugged into my wireless and then has it on the Network in Finder. Thought this was just because of the unit. Went out and bought a WD Ethernet external. Tried again. Same thing. Will only work when hooked to the Linksys wireless.

Issue: I use IMovie for pre-pro. Moved 300GB of video from the GoFlex to the WD, which took 2 days. The WD shows up under Network in Finder, but IMovie will not recognize it in either "Events" or "Projects". It sees it if I want to move something from the WD into another hard drive it recognizes (my main internal storage and the GoFlex) but I cannot get it to find and recognize the WD. Both it and the GF are on the Network, so that's not the issue. BTW IMovie shows the WD drive in the "Event" library, but it has the dreaded yellow triangle with exclamation point next to it. I tried dragging an Event folder from the external into it, but wouldn't go.

1. How do I get IMovie to recognize the Events and Projects in the GF?
2. Why won't a direct Ethernet connection work? My issue here is I wanted speed and figured that's the Ethernet. If I have to use it over a wireless connection, aren't I losing all the speed gained via a straight Ethernet cable?
3. None of the externals on the Network show up in Disk Utility.

The Mac store guys couldn't answer either one of these, so I turn to the experts. Thank you in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.