Macbook Air or Macbook Pro - Apple amateur so help me please!

Reaction score
Hello everybody

I was hoping for some advice since it would be my first Apple computer. I am excited about it but it is really hard to choose between Macbook Air 13 inch (1,86 ghz - 2gb) or Macbook Pro 13 inch (2,4 ghz - 4 gb). I have looked at a lot of different reviews on the internet and I keep on changing my mind!

First of all ; is it wise to buy this type of Macbook Pro right now, or will there be an update soon?

Second ; I'm a student so I will only use the computer for basic stuff : word, powerpoint and excell (a lot of typing and making of presentations), music, pictures, internet, a little photoshop,... No gaming or designing.

Portability is important to me, but I think Macbook Pro is also easy to carry around so that's not a defining quality. I'm just wondering if maybe it is better for me to buy the MacBook Air if there's the risk of me buying an outdated Macbook Pro...

Thanks in advance for the tips and advice! And excuse me for the english, I'm not a native speaker :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You could go either way. The only downside to the MBA is you can't upgrade it. The MBP you can add more RAM, and more storage space.

The MBA is kind of you gotta work with what you bought and work around that.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thx for the response! But do you think it's stupid to buy a Macbook Pro right now? Is it possible that there will be updates soon? I have read about this on some websites, but I don't know a lot about computers so most of it doesn't make sense to me! :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Thx for the response! But do you think it's stupid to buy a Macbook Pro right now? Is it possible that there will be updates soon? I have read about this on some websites, but I don't know a lot about computers so most of it doesn't make sense to me! :)

Apple is very secretive about their releases. The only thing we have to go on is their refresh updates pattern. This website kind of helps.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that one, but there they advice to not buy a macbook pro right now... so is it necessary to listen to it or doesn't it really matter in the end?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
If this is going to be your first Mac, I would go with the Macbook Pro it's a 13inch so it's still very portable and it has lots of room for upgrades. It's a machine you can grow with for next few years.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I saw that one, but there they advice to not buy a macbook pro right now... so is it necessary to listen to it or doesn't it really matter in the end?

If you can wait then wait. However if you need it now, buy now. Even if the new comes out after you buy it doesn't make your computer obsolete. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
There will ALWAYS be a newer model, so if you wait for the next refresh (whenever that might be), in a year or even within a few months your Macbook will be "outdated". So just get it now if you want it now. Mine is three years old, the model just before the unibody version and it's still fast and works hard. In fact, there are things I prefer MUCH better on this model than on newer models. So just go for it.

Reaction score
If you want it now, buy now. Don't waste your time too much on this thing. I also recommend the Pro version. You're gonna like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Keep in mind the screen resolution of the MBA is higher than the 13" MB Pro...

If that matters...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.