recording audio from dvr to mac?

Reaction score
Hi All-
I have a concert on my dvr that I'd love to listen to on my ipod. I could send the audio from my dvr to a receiver, etc- can I send it to my mac and then be able to record it to mp3 format? What hardware would be needed? I already have an RCA->1/8" jack, if that could be used. For software, I'm hoping there is something built-in to the mac OS that will allow me to do so, but I also need guidance there!
Thanks for the help-
Kramdenfan

C

chas_m

If you can send the audio to a receiver, then you can send it to your Mac. If you already have the RCA to 1/8" stereo jack, you're pretty well good to go. QuickTime X (included on your Mac) or Garageband (again, included) can both record the audio and save it as an AAC file for you. It will be one big file, but read on ...

You may wish to download the free Audacity audio editor to "clean up" the recording a little (split the recording into smaller segments, edit stuff etc). I don't actually think very highly of Audacity but it is a free basic audio editor.

If you're going to be doing that sort of thing more than once, I'd say spend the money ($32) on Fission, you'll be glad you did.

OP
K
Reaction score
thanks for the help, Chas. I'll let you know how it goes when I can get a few minutes to test it!
Kramdenfan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.