• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting WMV Files!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
Alright. So im a new Macbook user and i have tons of raw video clips (WMV Format) imported on my PC that i want to edit on my mac. What i want to know is what would be the best format to convert these to. And what is the best way to do this/what program should i use? <-- freeware preferably.

I have searched the internet and this forum and have surprisingly not found clear answers for these questions. help would be more than appreciated.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
Need a little more information on your clips before we can offer a suggestion. You say it is raw video, so if that means these are captures from a camcorder, we need to know what settings you used to record the footage. (Is it HD or SD, interlaced or progressive, frame rate, bit rate?) etc., etc. If you don't know, tell us what kind of camcorder you have and what your settings are on the camera, then we will probably be able to help you.

OP
skierman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
ok its sony handy cam nothing fancy. its just filmed in standard deff.

OP
skierman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
c'mon nobody has an answer to this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
1 word

HandBrake should help you out. Is the Mac video free converting .app that a lot of people use :)

Cheers

EDIT : your mac comes with iMovie(iMovie Supported video formats) as well and that is good to edit movies, OR Quicktime 10 is good as well, but not sure if your OS can handle QT10 as you dont say what OS you are running

OP
skierman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
thanks. as for the editing no worrries there ive got what i need and more haha.

OP
skierman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
1 word

HandBrake should help you out. Is the Mac video free converting .app that a lot of people use :)

Cheers

EDIT : your mac comes with iMovie(iMovie Supported video formats) as well and that is good to edit movies, OR Quicktime 10 is good as well, but not sure if your OS can handle QT10 as you dont say what OS you are running

oh yeah and handbrake wont work. not even letting me import the WMV... starting to get really frustrated with my mac right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Woooo Settle petal :) Its only a glitch atm no need to get frustrated as we will come up with a solution for you.
Having trouble finding a .wmv file so i can try this out....

Hmmm My bad seems your right and it wont :( Sorry dude to take up your time.

Ill do some more looking around for you, as i know i have had .wvm before and have used SOMETHING to convert them ?? QT im thinking but ill be back

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BUT to help you a little start with downloading Perian and Flip4Mac both help to watch .wvm on a Mac. Still looking around for you though

Cheers

EDIT : Download those last to links i give you, then open the video in QT, then do a Save As and save the file as a .mov file then try to do the editing ??? Just trying things here until i find a solution

OP
skierman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
okay thank you. every program i download to convert these files when want to import them it says source invalid, or something similar. my computer seeems to be totally rejecting/hating on these files :p except that VLC plays the audio...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
except that VLC plays the audio...?

It should play the video as well .... But dl Perian and Flip4Mac

But ole' mate Kev has come through for you, as he is a bit more savvy on video than me lol

Cheers

OP
skierman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
thanks alot for the help guys. and yeah VLC definitely isn't playing the video.

OP
skierman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
It should play the video as well .... But dl Perian and Flip4Mac

But ole' mate Kev has come through for you, as he is a bit more savvy on video than me lol

Cheers

ok so heres my problem to date. I downloaded flip4mac, mpeg stream clip and all other listed in this thread. but every time i want to add the file i want to convert to the program it say : unsupported file type or another similar message. why?? is there something wrong with my WMV files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well after dl Perian and Flip4mac can you play them in Quicktime ?? Let start there !!!!

OP
skierman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
Well after dl Perian and Flip4mac can you play them in Quicktime ?? Let start there !!!!

yes. i can do that but for some reason it only works through a certain download..anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well once the movie is in QT do shift~cmd~s to Save as and save it as a .mov ... See if you can do that ... As a next step

OP
skierman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
yup! that worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup! that worked.

Great news ..... Now it is a .mov file you can use Handbrake to convert what you want or use it as a .mov file for editing ....

Still havnt said what App are you using for the editing ?? iMovie ??

Anyways im glad i could get you this far :)

Cheers

OP
skierman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
im using premiere pro for the editing and the only issue with this is that since "I didnt illegally download flip4mac" i only have the trial version and once you put in i movie or premiere pro it leaves a watermark... and yeah thanks for sticking with me :p

p.s when i try to add the .mov file to handbrake, it just closes "unexpectedly" :S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.