• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting WMV Files!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well for starters, Flip4Mac is basically only a Plug-in and it sits in the System Preferences
See image
20101115-jsuqgu8kqw25tnafw9s34cm9q2.jpg

You shouldnt need to load anything into it.
How are you trying to add the .mov to HandBrake ?? Via Source ??

20101115-kepj11tf7fgmsfg3x76ick3yhe.jpg

Not sure why it closed like that un expectedly .....
I dont know anything about Premier Pro so have no knowledge to help you there mate

OP
skierman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
yeah i tried to add via source, and yeah i understand the fact thats flip4mac is just a plugin but when i import vid in say imovie a warning comes up telling me that there will be a flip4mac watermark.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ahhh ok ....
Well all i can suggest is i would trash HB the reinstall it and see what happens .... Apart from that mate im at the end of my User Knowledge to take you any further .... Sorry cant be of any more help, but give it time i dare say someone will pop in and help out

Good luck with it all and glad i had some input

Cheers

OP
skierman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
alright thanks alot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
The issue with Handbrake will be the .mov file, as it's already a converted format, not something that needs converting as such.
What exactly do you want to do with the file in terms of editing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The issue with Handbrake will be the .mov file, as it's already a converted format, not something that needs converting as such.

DUH ...... Of course :Grimmace: Thanks for pointing that out mate ......

OP
skierman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
What exactly do you want to do with the file in terms of editing?

well since its in .mov file its fine for editing, i dont really need to convert it to anything else. handbrake was just to see if i could optimize the quality bu its all good.

I discovered that Wondershare will do exactly what i want (convert WMV's to whatever format i want) without the need of other plugins and such like flip4mac although now i need to get my hands on a copy! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Well you'll need to buy it, beware of that type of software, there's a lot of it all the same (Aimersoft, iSkysoft etc) and it's not all it's cracked up to be.

OP
skierman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
Well you'll need to buy it, beware of that type of software, there's a lot of it all the same (Aimersoft, iSkysoft etc) and it's not all it's cracked up to be.

alright thanks for the warning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You could just upgrade your Flip4Mac software. The free version let's you play but not convert wmv's. If you pay a little more, you get conversion capabilities. I have the Studio Pro HD version and it works really well.

OP
skierman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
alright good to know thanks. as i am still having problems with this.

Reaction score
Yeah I have the same problem with the whole converting thing. It's (Flip4Mac) always saying its going to leave a watermark on both the video and audio. which REALLY frustrates me, looked around for a converter, tried them and for some reason when i add the file and want to convert, it'll either say error or the program would just "crash" or close unexpectedly. oh and i'm trying to convert .WMV files. i don't know what to do :\

OP
skierman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
Yeah I have the same problem with the whole converting thing. It's (Flip4Mac) always saying its going to leave a watermark on both the video and audio. which REALLY frustrates me, looked around for a converter, tried them and for some reason when i add the file and want to convert, it'll either say error or the program would just "crash" or close unexpectedly. oh and i'm trying to convert .WMV files. i don't know what to do :\

yeah i have the exact same problems. sooo i just converted it on my pc with xilisoft. still though i didnt get great results out of it. lost quality and had to mess around with it a little for it to work.

p.s **** .WMV's lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.